• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on the "Bobbers"....and "Short Truck

TiredIron

After sneaking around without registration and plates for nearly six years......I finally got caught this spring.
They towed my truck and impounded it......cost me nearly $500.00. I finally went down and got liabilty insurance,
weight ticket, VIN inspection,.....and plates. With sales tax....almost another fricken $500 dollar bill. The #183000lb
GVW put me in both the Commercial class for insurance and Colorado Plates. I have another M35A2 and I'll be damned
if I'm gonna pay the same for the second one. I've thought about just making up a fresh Data Plate with same VIN number
and move the plates around....heh heh.
My "Short Truck" question is........I'm thinking about cutting the Desert Tan Deuce down to a 4X and if I do this
project.....what does the truck become.....in the eyes of the State of Colorado.....?????
1. Does it get re-registered as a homebuilt truck and get a new VIN Number....???
2. Does the GVW get dramatically reduced so I can get into the "Light Truck Catagory"....???? :confused: :confused:
3. This truck has the Sprage front axle......does anything change..???
4. What happens when you put locking hubs on a Sprage front axle...???
Thanks Much
TiredIron

Desert Rat

TI,
Heagh Bouy, I'll try to help.

The truck becomes a highly modified 4X4 not a 6X6. This voids the 6X6 data plates. You may have to re-register as a homebuilt.

The GVW is dramatically reduced so you will be placed in a lighter catagory, check local listings.

I highly recommend dumping the psrague t-case for an air shift one to prevent binding on the drivetrain. I'm in need of replacing the piolt bearings in my first rear axle due to this piece of junk, as well aas swapping the sprague for an air shift I've paid for but haven't gotten yet.

When you put locking hubs on a sprague t-case the sprague will engage due to the fact when you disengage the front the t-case thinks you're slipping and will continually turn until it burns out. This is generally considered not good. My sprague is burned out big time, but I'm replacing it anyway, so I'm not concerned.

I hope this helps.

stagehc

I'm registering my bobber in the UK as a "Yard Tug"...

I'm trying not to let them know that I have drastically reduced the weight of the truck. The advantage of bieng an old big truck is it is MOT (state inspection) exempt. I have NOOOO CLUe what Colorado would dol. Good luck, keep us posted!

Cole

JasonS

I just finished my 4x4 conversion and licensing/insuring in SD.

1)According to SD law: "Rebuilt vehicle," any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that has been rebuilt by the addition or deletion of assemblies, subassemblies, parts, or component parts so that upon gross visual examination it does not appear to be the vehicle described in the certificate of title last issued for the vehicle, or whose title has been marked as " rebuilt" by this state or another state or jurisdiction; I asked the folks at the court house and they said no rebuilt title is necessary. I interpet this bit of law to apply to only serious modifications or repair. After all, no one has to get a rebuilt title for adding a tag axle to a truck or stretching the frame. I have legally changed the color, weight, and year on titles. Lots can be done and in my opinion everthing should be done to make the title match the truck.

2)Here in SD, I set the GVW to anything I want and pay accordingly. I couldn't get into the light truck because it is still a "truck" on the title. Apparently, the state considers anything without a pickup box to be a truck. I tried to point out that my dodge ram weighs more and can pull more but I didn't argue with them because the cost was the same, $55/yr.

3)I still have a sprag and will likely get the reb kit since I have an good sprag unit for parts/swap.

TiredIron

Howdy,
Would 2-3 of you That have performed the Deuce 4X conversion give either a quick call ( and I'll call back on my dime)..or email me your phone number and I'll call you.
I want to start a 4X conversion and I have a couple of question.
Thanks
TiredIron
walt054@attglobal.net

TiredIron

This might be a dumb question......and it might have a simple answer.
Why would you not......or could not....just cut four feet off of the original Deuce 12ft bed,
after removing the rear axle on a "Bob Job"........? It would take a little metal re-fab to re-attach the rear frame .....but then the tailgate would work again....???? Whats the obvious that I'm missing here....???

TiredIron

Mike,
YASSER.....THATS what I'm talkin' about. Is it just me...or does anyone else think that looks a lot better than using
a M105 trailer box. This way you get a full 8ft X 8ft box with no inner fenders and all your seats and bows still work.
TiredIron

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's been my contention right along. I don't like the way they cut the bed but the whole project looks much betterer that way. I still like the duals too. It looks like a modern day 1 1/2 ton Reo. Cutting down a bed tarp would be pretty easy too.

rdixiemiller

The M-105 makes it look kinda like an old stepside Jeep pickup. A little "sportier". The cut down deuce body with duals looks more like a big truck. I guess it is all in the individual's preference. I like the M105 conversion, reminds me of my old 1967 J-2000.

rdixiemiller

Thinking about it. The one I have to pull up from S Ga. probably has frame damage where the rear winch they had mounted got torched off. The back body is already trashed, so it would be a good candidate. I have a 1-D motor for it, and enough odds and ends to put it back together. It would be a fun project.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a couple of pics of the sacrifical M105 trailer waiting to donate it's goods to the betterment of a bobbed deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks