• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 flat towing

oilcan

I have the M880 tow bar adapter set, but have never seen it all attached to the vehicle. While it's probably a no-brainer I sure wouldn't mind seeing a pic or a good description. I'd try it out myself but I haven't owned a dodge pickup in years. Anything to look out for?

Also, I understand the way these adapters bolt to a truck is kinda crummy. Something about a weak point in the frame? If I were to take the mopar plunge, the initial tow would be fairly short. Not much more than across town, really.

papercu

tow

would be fairly short. Not much more than across town, really
A rollback would/might only run 50.00 or so. Be a lot easier than worrying about something coming loose or a dry-rotted tire blowing out in downtown traffic.
There is a towbar TM on site, it might have the hook-up. Wayne

acetomatoco

RE: tow

Ya, and the full time four wheel drive in the Dodge would necessitate removing both driveshafts for a flat tow of any distance. The flat plate adaptors under the tow bar adaptors are for the M890 series only. Be sure to use good bolts...

oilcan

I pulled this quote out of one of the threads that came up during my search.

Just an FYI for everyone on towbar towing. The Dodge owner's manual says a 4x4 can be towed any distance at any safe speed under the following conditions:
Transfer case in neutral
Transmission in park
Drivetrain in good condition
If one end is off the ground, I would remove the driveshaft to the axle that will be rolling to prevent wear on the inter-axle diff in the transfer case.
Regards Marti
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8828&highlight=tow+bar+adapter

I understand there might be condition issues to deal with, but that's true with any truck.

Time to download another manual on dialup. :shock:

Elwenil

I will say from my experience with the NP203 fulltime transfer case in the mid to late 70's Mopars that towing it without removing the driveshafts would be a bad idea especially for a truck with mileage on it. Just my .02

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks