• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello all. A little direction needed from the experts neede

paddyaye

First of all, if I can just say what a pleasure it has been to glance through the various pages on this website--very similar to that experienced as a youth involved constructing model airplanes and trains, then to be treated by viewing the same up-close in "real life;" the treat in this case is to view all the spectacular member's vehicles posted throughtout.

Brevity is not my thing, sorry, but I'll do my best to keep this short. I am in the research stages, (really dont like that term as in sounds too technical, and I am not), for info on the M880, or M882. I am not a mechanic--I change oil/plugs and thats about it, but appreciate reliability, heavy duty quality machinery--and having owned several 4x4's, know of running gear components, but usually let "the garage" handle most repairs.

That being said, from your pages Ive learned the M880 is basically a W200, with a 318 V8 equipped with a 727 Tranny, N405? or 205 (I forgot already!) transfer case, dana front and rears; FT non-lock out front end, (which scares me a little as Ive always been told FT frontends wear-out extremely fast).

Get to the point man!?! Okay. It sounds like most of you guys work on your own trucks. Do you think the avg joe should look elswhere for a straight from auction non-problematic vehicle? Are these trucks not good daily drivers? I really like the proven 318 and dont need a brauny big block power plant. From the posts, electrical wiring seems to be a common issue with these rigs; other known common problems? One of the posts mentions a magazine article devoted to the M880 which I will go back and find as it sounds like a good starting point, but first thought I'd say hello and seek any advice you all are willing to share. Now this is really far-fetched, but does anyone have an opinion as to which agencies to stay clear from, where others might maintain their vehicles slightly better; it goes without saying searches are best in non-rusting states...

...okay Ive taken up enough time from all you good people; thanks again for your thoughts.

Pat

Sacramento

Elwenil

The M-880 series trucks are as as you stated except for the transfer case. They should all have a NP 203 full time transfer case. I have never owned a M-880 series, but I have owned (and still do) many 1970's era Dodge trucks. The military Dodges are basically 3/4 ton civilian trucks with a few military add ons and as such, most common 4x4 knowledge applies. There are a few differences, I think mainly in the electrical area. Full time 4WD will make the front axle wear out quicker then a part time axle, but not so much that you will have to worry about it. If it were me, I would probably try to find a 880 series in the hands of a private owner to buy from, rather than have to mess with an auction for a run down parts truck, or one needing serious repairs. Not that you can't find a good running truck at auction, but typically the auction people know next to nothing about any one vehicle in particular, so it's a guessing game for all involved. Buying one from a private owner will allow you to test drive it in most cases and look it over real well, and the owner can give you a lot more background info on the truck. These trucks show up for sale fairly often and are normally reasonably priced. Just my .02

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Elwenil is right on the money. It'v virtually all civilian. The exception is if the truck had the blackout lighting kit installed of has a 24volt system. No worries if it does have the 24V system, its completely seperate from the truck electonics and has its own batteries and alt. No power steering but easily and cheaply installed. Tuff little inexpensive trucks.

paddyaye

Recovry 4x4 and Elwenil: thank you for your very useful information and thoughts re: M880's.

As mentioned, Im in the "dreaming stages" yet have a strong idea of what my ideally finished 880 would look like, ie solid desert tan paint scheme (flat finish of course, w/no camo), polished high gloss black wheels mounted on HV tires w/mild 2" suspension lift; likewise same black scheme continued on grill, mirrors, and bumpers, replacing the front bumper with a some kind of hidden/built-in winch configuration finished w/ a couple of driving/off road lights mounted to it.

Ah to dream...

Were the larger antenna's mounted to the side of the p/u box stock or indicative of a particular model, ie 880 vs. 882 (Im still unclear of the distinction between the two models beyond troop carrier vs comm vehicle but in time I will undoubtedly discover the difference), or did any model receive the antenna as an add-on type option? Strictly for cosmectic purposes, I REALLY like the look, and feel that it completes the look of a "beefy" rig, and am curious if I found a surplus antenna set-up if I could somehow interface it with a typical CB radio...

...anyway, again, thanks for you initial thoughts and will continue to browse, appreciate, and enjoy reading of your projects.

Pat

Sacramento

Desert Rat

Pat,
The antennas were an add on item dependent upon base needs. Most M880's did not have an antenna or radio installed, though a large number did. The difference between the troop carrier and cargo truck was the insallation of the troop seat fold down sides as opposed to the normal cargo only sides put in the standard bed.

As far as converting a military base to a CB antenna, this site I found a while back gives a very good step-by-step discription of how to do it: http://www.amghummer.com/radio/Milantenna/milAntenna.htm . I plan on doing one for my M109A3 in the future.

I hope this helps.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, I have to disagree that a full time wears out the axle sooner than a part time.
The full time is constantly getting lubed where a part time sits in one position the lube eventually runs off, condensation can build up, rust occur then you engage the hubs and mix the rust & condensation up.

Second the M880 was cargo and they had the troop seats when issued.
The M882 was a Radio truck and had 3 antenna(and the troop seats), had 24 volt along with the 12 volt
this pic gives a brief rundown of the models.
http://www.powerwagonparts.net/img00392.gif

Tough trucks, not too much power, but they are capable of hauling big loads.

dilvoy

Pat, The electricals are not really that bad. I think most of the problems are from the vehicles sitting around and humidity messing with the grounds and such. Light switches usually start working after a hundred or so cycles and the fuel gauge usually starts working after vibration from driving re grounds the fuel tank, that is unless the brass float hasen't got a hole in it. Pretty good trucks overall. I would really like mine to have a Dana 60 up front instead of the 44. I picked up a Air Force 4x4 crew cab and it has a dana 60 up front. If you check the GSA auctions you still see them come up from time to time.

paddyaye

Thanks George.

Thats what attracted me to these trucks, as you mentioned "good overall trucks," and fairly easy to keep on the road without spending a fortune. And yes, I have the GSA site bookmarked to check up-coming auctions...

..but that search is on hold until I secure employment -- laugh -- yep, 'spose that takes priority :banghead: thanks again everyone --

Pat

Sacramento

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks