• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A perfect day.......

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started the day at 0300, did the walk around, fired up George (the deuce) checked all the lights (fluids were checked and topped last night), cleaned the glass, loaded the thermos and when the pressure built, I was on the way.....

The trip today was to recover a Ford F-800 with a crane loader for my girlfriends father (yup, I'm getting HUGE brownie points, so sue me.....) Said F-800 is 202 miles away in Mathews, Louisiana, I am departing Libuse, La.

Stop about 60 miles from starting point, check tires, feel the axles, check lights refill the coffee cup (you know, the important stuff). Get back on the road. Arrive in Mathews at approxamately 0900. Towbar is attached, light bar wired, tires inflated, test pull done, and we are back on the road by noon.

Ease down the highway at 45 (trust me..... look at the Ford; do you want to go faster than 45?)

Get off the interstate in Bunkie, La, take the backroads to said girlfriends fathers house. Place the Ford, park the deuce, allow said deuce to cool off, shut down, final walk around, head to g/f's house, am posting and drinking a cool refreshing beverage....

Total distance: 428 miles
Total time: 16 hours
Fuel Used: 75 Gallons

Attachments

pa.rich

Now thats a huge log loader! Yes you made points on that one! And I would bet you were feeling a heavy weight behind you. I wouldnt be surprised if that was alot heavier than the duece. :driver: So is that what its like when things go well? I am still waiting..........................for things to go well! :D

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It towed like a freaking barge! Thanks for the complement. My biggest concern was people jumping ahead of me and putting on their brakes. Luckily, I kept enough of a cushion of space between me and the cars ahead I was able to downshift to almost stop before I touched the brakes. The **one** time I heated them up is when I had a stale green light and it caught me too far away to safely make the intersection. Booty puckered.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: A perfect day.......

pa.rich said:
:driver: So is that what its like when things go well? I am still waiting..........................for things to go well! :D
The only thing that was wrong was the fact it rained during the entire recovery UNTIL we get past the crappy parts of the highway.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: A perfect day.......

Post script:

This morning I feel like I went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson 5 minutes after he lost his fight license..... I am stiff in places I didn't know I had...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great story and pics, thanks for taking the time to post.

So you have any guesses as to the weight of the Ford?

Nice looking towbar.

Oh, and best pic ever!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting recovery, I like it. The only part I didn't like was the 75 gallons of diesel fuel. The other day on the turnpike I noticed diesel at $4.69 a gallon. That makes that type of recovery here cost $350. Great pics though. Did you have a chase vehicle the whole way?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My g/f's father took that one.....

Not sure of the weight. I DO know I never had to drop into low range to get moving after I got it onto pavement. I looked up similar trucks online and they weighed anywhere from 8,000 to 20,000. I would imagine with the loader, somewhere around 12-18k.

The g/f's father paid for the fuel (part of the deal). The father was in his pickup chasing for me. (Hazards on the interstate behind me, in front going through towns).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks