• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pre-Ignition Catalytic Convertor

Elwenil

I could sort of see how such a thing, if it worked, could help if we were back in the early 80s and were all still running carburetors but today's injection systems do a good job of turning the fuel into a fine mist and the combustion chambers are much better about burning most of the fuel. If I understand correctly how catalytic converters work, they change harmful compounds in the exhaust into less harmful compounds through a molecular change. They change carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen, and hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide and water. As we all know, hydrocarbons are the fuel which engines burn to produce power. Now lets think about if we turn the hydrocarbons in our fuel into carbon dioxide and water BEFORE it's introduced into the engine. Seems to me like it would get less power from the fuel since we are changing the very things we get power from into compounds that the engine can't get power from. With that in mind, I would say that such a thing, if it worked, would result in LESS fuel mileage. At least that's how I see it, but I am no scientist by any means.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks