• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Garwood 10K Lb. Winch ?

ems4ty

Mod, please feel free to move this to the appropriate location. Not sure where to post this.

I remember reading up on Winch Cable Maintenance before but my search skills on SS are terrible and haven't found an answer that I'm looking for. I have a Deuce with a Garwood 10,000 Lb. winch. It appears to have a 1/2" Diameter cable and looks like it's "6 Stranded".

3 Questions come to mind. What's the best way to clean, degrease and re-oil the cable? I remember reading somewhere to soak it in 30 Weight non-detergent oil. Is this right? What is used to clean off all of the dirt, gunk, and grit that is impacted in and on the cable? My exisitng cable is in fair condition. No frays that I've seen however within the first 2 feet of the cable it looks like it is flattened out a bit. What I have read though suggests that the cable should be replaced.

2nd question, what is a good replacement cable and approx. how many feet typically fit on the drum? I think I read before that there could be 250 Feet of 1/2" cable on the typical drum. It that right? Or should it be around 150 Feet? Also, if I did need to replace the cable, should I go with the wire rope or some kind of synthetic? (I read some other post about synthetic ropes, but it wasn't very descriptive as to what size, length, and where to buy it at.)

3rd question, how do you wrap your cable on your front bumper and through the shackles? I tried different configurations and no matter what I did, it looked odd. Not sure if the chain and hook are too short or not. Any pics or TM's that have any of this listed?

Thanks for your help. I just wanted to get my winch serviced and up to par in the event that I had to put it to use one day.

Have a great memorial day weekend!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there is ANY question as the serviceablity of the cable, replace it...

It takes 200 feet as per the TM, but 250 will fit on there neatly wrapped..

The -10 shows you how to stow the leader chain, but bascially, pass it thru one shackle, and hook it on the other..

area52

I read on here somewhere that its best not to grease or oil the cable in a dry dusty area since it will just collect the particles on the cable and mess it up. Just inspect and clean all the gunk off as best as you can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks