• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my trip started off real bad

t120r

well ihave finally started my trip from maryland to wyoming. my weight for inquiring minds was the following m109a2 w/w and m105a2 dually
front 8,280
drive axles 14,380
m105 trailer 5, 680

total weight 28,340

i left and it ran great till i had to buy ulsd fuel. then the trouble started i barely made it to piittsburg. had to turn the fuel up 2 turns. iit would not idle or holod road speed. i stopped 250 miles into the trip to check the filters etc. after 6 hours i called the guru at memphis. i owe this guuy Bob a case or 2 of beer.

i walked him thru the symthoms and he told me what to do. worked great i will call him in the am

i hope i make it as i am in columbus with 1700 miles to go.
afet the repair i drove to columbus about 150 miles after breakdown it rus outstanding

maryland

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like you said, fuel filters would be my first check also.

I'm also curious, let us know, please.

(Remember to add some oil to the new diesel fuel for lubricity).

dc3coyote

RE: Re: my trip started off real bad

come on dont hold out on us,
And I like Lucas injector oil for my Trucks seems to work pretty good almost as good as REAL diesel not that ULSD crap

Mike_Pop

RE: Re: my trip started off real bad

Everyone seems to be looking for answers but do any of you realize that t120r is on the road and cannot get to SS?

t120r

what went wrong

well can u believe they have internet service for free at the welcome center in davenport iowa

the fix for the truck was this

i had changed all the filters oil/fuel etc. removed the rear axle shafts front hubs etc. after tooling around for couple of years to take this to leave it out west i put a electric fuel pump on mounted above the fuel tank as the in tank pump crapped out. boyce has the pump cheap easy and small

ah ha the fix
the truck filters were clean when i left. getting outside pittsburg it kept acting like the air was restricted. you know what we do here. look at brand new filter and look for mice. nope clean and orderly. i have a generator mounted on the front fender thought maybe the cover was restricting it. took it off went fore a ride and the same

i happened to look at the mpg and then i new something is wrong. 11 mpg
way to much for an opened up m109 that weighs 28,600 pulling a boat anchor to boot. the pyro was reading 1200 at load on hill. pissing, farting, loosing steam. all you worst fears.

i called the guru at memphis he said see if it revs to 2600. i did not. did i bleed d the injectors yes, did i bleed the secondary filters yes. then he said turn it up the fuel rod 2 turns. i did it runs fine and the whole problems was the electric fuel pump filter has gotton dirty restricting the fuel while getting good milage and running at 1200 degrees.

i have since looked at the tank and it is real dirty. guess when i get to wyoming i will be cleaning out the tank. and to think it was on my to do list and i did not do it.

i am still here for a while but do not know how to post pics

t120r from md

now it has power to spare(just kidding) it pulls good grunts on the hills like it is suppose to and is gettinh 7.78 mpg

i am half way to wyoming and this trip is a real adventure. pulls dually trailer real nice will post pics at next stop

t120r

after action report

well i am in des moines iowa and the m109 is running good. in the morning i will clean the electric pump filter once again. it only takes 5 minutes.

i will also check tiire pressure and tranny level. by the way i used 5 qts of lucas in the motor and 1.5 qt in the tranny. starts up a lot quiter. shifts better 2.

i put a rebuilt tranny from boyce with a resurfaced flywheel and new disc brg etc.

if you buy from boyce beware of missing parts. i am not bad mouthing them but the teck guy left off the spring under the shift lever(they sent me another one) and left out a 3/4 bolt that hold the front of the tranny together. nop big deal just check your parts first. iyt does shift great. for $600

my pyro is running under full load up hill at 1100. seems to be fine. lots of power. the more fuel these things get louder.

i wish i could figure out the way to post pics

t120r
md

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: after action report

Try reading this FAQ on how to post pictures. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=5&pid=2 If you use the "Quick reply" box to post, you need to "preview" your post to see the option to browse for your pictures that you want to post. If you want to add more than one picture, press "add attachment" to continue adding pictures. I think you can add up to 10 pics per post. Then, of course, press "submit".

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: after action report

I would like to leave Maryland too for a real Red State that likes Guns and Trucks horses and dogs. Too much crime an liberal tripe in the lovely state and it is no longer the Free State except for the motto and if you are on welfare.

steelandcanvas

Re: RE: after action report

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I would like to leave Maryland too for a real Red State that likes Guns and Trucks horses and dogs. Too much crime an liberal tripe in the lovely state and it is no longer the Free State except for the motto and if you are on welfare.
David you are more than welcome to join us in the Plains of Colorado. Good conservative folks that still like dogs, horses, guns and MV's!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks