• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Racal Acoustics RA108 headset

CanonNinja

Snagged one off ebay a few weeks back, seems like a good headset, and fits under my helmet perfectly.

Bad thing is, its the Canadian version for the IRIS/MeshNET system, so the plug is different. Am I hosed on this, or is there an adapter I can get to make this work with a VIC-1/3?

CanonNinja

called them, they were no help.

Waiting on a call from Racal, but got some replies from Gen. Dynamics Canada and got a pin-out for their typical style headset. Found the female plug blank from Nexus, so as soon as I can verify the pinout from Racal, I might be in business. The headset I have is active noise reduction and stereo, so at worst I may have to wire an adapter for mono and lose the ANR all together.

You wouldn't have a pinout for the VIC-1 headset plug would you?

CanonNinja

so if I read this correctly, there's a common ground for both the mic and the headset together? And the E pin for intercom use is a positive battery lead?

Steamynachos

I got one it wont work with the vic-1 system properly I am told only one ear phone will work. I was told by a guy in the Canadian military that they were warned not to hook them up to a vic-1 system as it will fry the AM-1780 box because it has a powered or amplified mic. and it draws the power from the 1780 and the 1780 is not designed to out put power for that function for a vic-3 head set. but it will work with the VIC-3 system just fine. I have been too chicken to hook it up to my unit to see if it will fry it. Let us know what you find out I would like to get mine working also.

ida34

You probably have to convert the connector to a vic-3 style connector. You will need a vic-3 style male and female connector as you need to change the connector on the 2298 box also. You need to provide 24 volt to the middle terminal on the connector at the 2298. There is a place to pull it from inside the 2298. I am not sure how the Canadian one works so your proceed at your own risk. When I get around to it I am going to convert a 2298 box for my bose headset.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks