• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

THE ORIG. TRACTOR, WRECKER

No.2Diesel

Original Tractor/Wrecker

Hi,

Here are some pics of the GranndPappy of the M246/M819s, the Federal 606E, Sterling, Biederman etc. Not very good pics but its all I can find. I wonder what the M designation is for that Step-Deck trailer? Looks very similar to the M269/M270.

If anyone knows anymore (technical, etc.) about the Federal 606E please add it here. Thanks.

I threw in a pic at the bottom of an ex-Navy Sterling with a larger crane unit just for fun. Enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited:

wjruth

Re: RE: Diamond T 981

steelandcanvas said:
I hope that strap over the hood of that Diamond T981 kept it on the trailer.
I think that is just to hold the hood down during transport. You can see a rachet strap going to the front axel in front of the front tire, what looks like a chain binder behind the rear wheel going to the rear axle and a chain around the front bumper most likely tied to a winch to tow it onto the trailer.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Diamond T 981

That's a big mother right there. Huge boom on that. Those old cable-operated wreckers took a special breed of person to operate them, the modern hydraulic driven units are a breeze compared to the old cable units.

rmgill

Re: RE: Diamond T 981

wjruth said:
steelandcanvas said:
I hope that strap over the hood of that Diamond T981 kept it on the trailer.
I think that is just to hold the hood down during transport. You can see a rachet strap going to the front axel in front of the front tire, what looks like a chain binder behind the rear wheel going to the rear axle and a chain around the front bumper most likely tied to a winch to tow it onto the trailer.
IT was probably also to keep the sheetmetal fenders from flapping. Those Diamond-Ts are geared for what, 45 mph?

rmgill

Around here, you can't be sure.

I have it on good authority that some members removed a transmission by cribbing the transmission and then lifting the deuce up off. :roll:

beaubeau

Rmgill, I never changed a tranny that way before!! Sounds like a Plan!!LOL!!I have changed trannies by lifting back of vehicle up with my Excavator until the front bumper touches the ground. U physically pull tranny out and it SSSLLIDES right in when replacing !!!! No crawling under, just stand there and do UR Thing!! Phil

madsam

I love the swing down foot and the fact that you have to stand on a slide out shelf to operate the wrecker. Nice pics.

I assume those were Gassers. What size?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

the diamond t road speed was 26 mph, the one in the pic was a m20, prim mover, the wrecker in the weight box was a civi mod, i had one in cal. that the gov. had removed the weight box and put on a fifth wheel before it was released, mine had a 805 ci huclies ( i know its not spelled right)diesel

m26a1tom

Nevermind, I probably should have looked at the pics before posting that. I thought you were referring to a Diamond T. But still a cool truck, find out if they want to get rid of it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trailer double stacked is a C-2 wrecking trailer, same purpose as the 269/270. Has 15" 6 hole wheels with LPT tires like the M172.

No.2Diesel

Pics for NDT

Hi,

I Bring this old thread up as I was searching the forum and found a thread regarding the the older M269 and the WWII C-2 trailer.

NDT has a C-2 trailer and asked out load: "has anyone seen photographic evidence of a C-2 wrecker or trailer transporting an aircraft?" Well here ya' go NDT enjoy!

I stumbled upon this great source from the great folks at the Stockton Aviation Field Museum: Army Air Forces Federal C2 wrecker so they get the credit. I will post some below just in case they got lost from the link above. There are some really great photos that you just don't see.

They can lift/haul some heavy loads! Enjoy the Pics!!

Attachments