• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151 (original flavor) fuel filter question: NAPA equivalent

Irv

I've searched high and low and cannot find the civilian equivalent for the fuel filter that sits upside down on top of the fuel pump. It looks like a miniature oil filter cannister. I found one reference to a fuel filter, but it is for one that can go by the carb (PUROLATOR F10131).
Anyone know what a NAPA number or Carquest number is for that filter? Thanks.

Attachments

Irv

RE: M151 (original flavor) fuel filter question: NAPA equiva

Irv said:
IUpon further thrashing around on the internet, it might be a steel can surrounding a paper element, Fram CG-20. I don't see this in the manual TM 9-2320-218-20. Is this something that someone has added as a modification, maybe?

m38inmaine

There were two styles of M151 fuel filters. Early in tank pump models had a filter in the tank surrounding the electric pump, the later models with the fuel pump mounted on the block had a filter attached to the pickup tube in the tank and one on the carburetor. What you have appears to be something someone has added.

txdodge43man

:ditto: I have never seen the filter before and if I remeber rigth on a M151 that should be a vacum pump there if it had a pump in the tank I know the A2 mutts had a pump there but had the filter on the carb. That might be somthing from a diffrent country.

nattieleather

I've been working with 151 for about 25 years now. I've torn up and rebuilt a couple dozen in that time and I've never seen that before. The M151 and M151A1 had a fuel pump in the tank and a vacume pump where that one is on the block. The M151A2 had a mechanical pump on the block like that, but not with a filter. That's not even the stock pump for an A2. The fuel line on an A2 comes in from the left. Somebody added that. Maybe the electric pump went out and they rigged that one up???

If I remember correctly the gasket for the vacume and or fuel pump is the same as that of a small block chevy. Is it possible that that is from an early 305 or 350 chevy v8?

Esteban

That looks a lot like the fuel filter cannister that was used on late '60's early 70's 360 cu.in. Ford pick-ups, & similar engines. That fuel pump is upside down to their use, though.Have never seen anything like that on a 151, though.

Irv

Thanks, guys. It looks like you've hit it on the head. Someone added this. Being as the filter can is upside down, I guess that means it's going to be a mess to change it. Maybe a drain valve and a Tee fitting would be in order down there. Or, just a sawed-off milk jug underneath it when I change it out. :)

Irv

Uh oh..... Rereading the posts, it appears that I might be missing a vacuum pump there to power the wipers, which are vacuum jobbies. No wonder there are no vacuum lines on the wiper motors. :cry: I know the engine was changed out many years ago. Maybe someone stuck an A2 in there? How would I tell? Thanks.

Esteban

That filter is easily bought at any parts stores. If I remember right, the Ford V-8's, 260 cu.in, 289, early 302, 360, & 390 all used the same . Maybe $3-4, for just the filter. The fuel pump runs off the camshaft of those engines. Is this one running off the rocker arm ?? Ever-Whatever,,, it is " Jimmirigged !"

1965M151A1

This appears to be a fuel pump from an early Ford 260 or Ford 289 engine. I owned a 1964 1/2 Mustang and early 1965 Falcon Sprint that had the exact same fuel pump. I replaced them on these cars because you will never get a good seal after you replace the filter. It is just pressed steel and will rust. It looks like someone added it. It is designed to sit inverted so the particles will settle in the bottom of the canister bowl, the way it is sitting, I would seriously doubt its effectiveness. I would just replace it with the correct fuel pump and stick with the screw in carb inlet filter and in tank filter. Hope this helps, Ron

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks