• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Expiration Date?

dm22630

I am having a LOT of people wanting to give me all of there used oil. Most are mechanics (pro & shade tree). Most oil is generated in large amounts very quickly.

My question is though.....A guy just called me and has about 150 gallons of oil that he has been collecting over the last 5 years. It has been in a 275 gal HHO tank outside (sealed supposedly). He also has 30 gallons of diesel that is in the bottom of a HHO tank that hasn't been used in 8 years.

Is the oil or diesel any good? Or will I royally screw up my engine & other oil reserves by mixing this stuff with the "new" used oil?

Should I stay away & only get "new" used oil since it is so prevalent?

Thanks!

i would think that if you filter it that it should be ok. We take oil outta tanks and filter it when we put it in the holder tanks. then take and filter it again when we pump it back out with no problems

dm22630

Could there be a problem with micro-organisms? Or years of condensation inside the tanks?

I have been reading about HHO & apparently micro-organisms turn it into slime after it sits for a long time. :|

wdbtchr

The slime that you're referring to is algae that grows on the water/oil interface. You can buy an algaecide that will kill it, you only have to add a small amount that will settle to the bottom and mix with the water layer and kill the growth. Let it sit for a while, then filter it and run it. I've done it many times with old oil. Any place that carries diesel additives should have it, I got it at a farm supply.

Michael

How about something that has been sitting outside in a 55 gal drum for 20 plus years? I don't even know what is in the drums. They were sitting out back on the bare ground of an old building I bought 15 years ago. The tops are starting to rust through. The building was used as an auto repair shop by one of the previous owners. The combination of having to deal with the contents before the barrel fails and the current price of fuel has got me to considering burning it in my truck. I also have 3 old school buses that have 10 to 20 year old gas in them.

wdbtchr

If the tops haven't rusted through, you might want to transfer it to another stroage container. I've had rusted drums that had filled up with rainwater and displaced the oil until all that was left was water. Suprise, Surprise! Seriously take a sample off the top with a paper towel and see if it will burn. If it will, the multifuel will handle it, the same for the 20 or more year old gas. If it burns and you can pump it through a filter, it will work. I've gotten rid of a lot of petroleum waste that way over the years since I got my multifuel, in fact I did it before with my old International diesel but I was just more carefull about blending it off.

The great thing about here in Missouri is waiting till winter to separate any water. Let it freeze and drain off the oil. Gets rid of any solids settled to the bottom too. I use far less filter cartridges if it's settled a long time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks