• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

miles per gallon more like feet!!!

85-m1028

well I've put a little over 5000 miles on my truck and changed the oil a few time "once just recently" starts great, runs a little ruff at idle and smothes out when you rev it up, accelerates good, I had to buy an oil cap because the rattle can was lettin smoke out like crazy!! if I take the cap off you would think I was having a smoke fest "not just a puf puf but a steady stream" my tranny seems grab good and get me up to speed "when I put it in reverse I can idle it for up to 10 seconds b4 it grabs and I start to move" when rolling there is a ringing sound like those old bicycle handlebar bells or like touching a peice of steel to a grind wheel that is sort of random "ring ring rrrriiinnggg ring ringring" Now heres what irks me, I filled up and the odometer read 16,015 the needle gets back down to E and the odometer reads 16,215 I fill er up and it takes 17.4 gallons to top it off, lets see that work out to be about 11.4 miles per gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shakehead: es no bueno!! I just want to know how she can start and run so well but be so es no bueno "just ranting" and the ringing sound is going to drive me muy loco soon if I don't figure out what the hell is making that noise!!! thanks for the read!! [thumbzup]

mangus580

Check your bolts that hold your torque converter to the flywheel. sounds to me like these are loose causing the ring noise.

the TH400 in my civvy pickup takes a few seconds to go into reverse, happens more often when the fluid is low. I would do a fluid filter change on it, this should help it some. If not, drive it... as long as it shifts solid, I wouldnt worry about it.

As for the mileage... I would think thats about right for a truck with 4.56 gears in it! After all my M1009 only nets me about 16mpg with the 3.08's :banghead:

85-m1028

I did the filter and fluid change first thing when I got her but I,ve had tranny fluid leaking from some mystery place and it seems to end up on the front drive shaft I was told it might be pump seal, or grommet for the dip stick tube?? I gave up dumping fliud in there and it seems to be ok! "maybe the dip stick is reading wrong. I was qouted 650 to have it rebuilt that was cheapest aamco beep beep, but I thought I might get a master rebuild kit with upgrades "kevlar bands ,roller bearings etc." because I have heard they are the easiest to rebuild but I dont know if I have the time!. As for mileage I hear lots of people saying they get 20-25 with the blazers and 16-20 trucks! I guess the heavy duty 400 converter really sapps the mileage!! I'll get a chance to look at the flywheel when I change out the starter and check the bolts!! [thumbzup]

mangus580

I would have to agree that the pump seal could be leaking. I have had it happen before on mine (civvy truck). I have also done the rebuild. I was the first one in my group of friends with enough guts to try it. I have a Haynes manual that tells you how to do it, and it was quite simple to. Just have plenty of clean space to lay it out... and keep track of the order. Be patient as you do it and you shouldnt hvae much a trouble. If I remember right, it took me 2-3 evenings to do mine (not counting removal.) From the sounds of what you are describing though, I wouldnt worry about rebuilding it. Find your leak, and fix it and you should be fine. The delay for reverse could just be the way it was rebuilt last. I think that the delay is caused by something waiting for pressure to build and a valve might be sticking briefly for you, I am thinking thats why mine does it.

I have heard the same rumors about mileage too, but I have yet to see it!!

mangus580

BTW... as I look at your post again, you might want to look for something rubbing against your driveshaft as well. that might also create the noise you are talking about.

mouse

i would check the drive shaft first( i have a BIG van and i could hear a ringing noise) it was a steel plate that was spot welded to the floor that came loose and was riding on the shaft.

85-m1028

the drive shaft is clear I do know that I think there would be marks on it if something was rubbing, I have noticed when I pull the shift lever down into drive I hear a jingle jingle in the same pitch and tone as when moving so I am thinking more in the direction of the transmision but turbo 400 trouble shooting book doesn't say anything about ringing noises??????????????????????????????? :banghead:

dilvoy

You may have a loose torque converter which would make noise at idle but when you put it into gear, apply the brakes and give it some throttle the shond may go away or change. You may actually have a cracked flywheel. It is very hard to see with the torque converter bolted to it, but you might look there and possibly unbolt the converter and puch it back to get a better view. It is tough to get that converter cover off to check this out, but if the flywheel cracks and the outer part separates from the part that is bolted to the crankshaft the full weight of the spinning converter and broken, off balance, flywheel will be on the trans pump. It may be worth a look.

mangus580

any chance of a sound clip? Its also posssible something is rattling against the exhaust... Does it go away ever? Maybe at this point it might help if you listed what all you have checked?

85-m1028

I have checked the tranny cooling lines , harmonic balancer, flywheel bolts to converter, and driveshaft the noise doesn't start until I'm actualy moving over 5-15 mph, and is there even when decelerating, if I hit the brakes no change, I did notice the bolt that ties the oil dip stick to the manifold has been hitting the frame causing it to pit but I think that mould only make noise when accelerating?? I'll look into that, How do you get a sound bite only to post?? I do have a digital camera with m-peg video recorder. :yeah:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks