• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replaced starter solenoid today

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every so often I get the chatter from the starter solenoid on the 8x8 and really hate it when showing the truck to someone for the first time...it just leaves a bad first impression.
Last year I bought a solenoid on ebay and upon closer inspection it turned out to be the exact right one for my 8x8, no numbers to go by, but dimensions and features match perfectly. :)

So, this afternoon I went ahead and replaced it and the key thingy here is that it was rather straightforward even with the starter still on the engine.

I'll complete the job tomorrow.

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to know you don't have to pull the starter to replace the solenoid. You going to pull the solenoid apart and clean it up the contacts?

On a side note, I just replaced the soleniod on my 93 chevy truck starter. 18 bucks vs a new starter. Starter lasts forever, solenoids are good for couple of years.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stretch44875 said:
Good to know you don't have to pull the starter to replace the solenoid. You going to pull the solenoid apart and clean it up the contacts?.........
Yes, the contacts will be replaced/cleaned up and the original solenoid kept as a spare.

After several starting attemps, the "chatter" is still there. It is obvious that the starter must be replaced also, but at least, if you are sure about the problem, the solenoid can be replaced without removing the starter....

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks