• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A5 mule restoration

nickd

I have been working on a neglected mule I picked up at Aberdeen. it was a parts mule David had on the "hill". He was fair and honest on his evaluation and description before it was delivered to the show. Here are some before and after pictures. The motor was swapped out for an NOS motor inorder to jump start the project. The old motor has been stripped down and prepared for rebuild this winter.

This mule will be hauling the 106mm recoilless rifle once it is completed.

Here are a few shots.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. You have done a good job. Where didi you come up with the reciolless mounts?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great Nick! One day I'm going to stealth up and take a ride out to Maccus' house and see if I can't get away with one of his project mules. Watch out for me Gene!

nickd

Kenny,
Beware of the project mule. The introductory "reasonable " price cascades into a money pit fast. This particular mule came from David Kelone and the price included all major parts to finish it up. David was very fair and reasonable with the included parts. The engine was not running (i knew that in advance) and the engine overhaul parts were not part of the deal (I also knew that in advance) This mule was priced accordingly and I have spent a huge amount of hours to get it to its present condition and a few bucks along the line to fill in the gaps. This mule became a part time job since I got it home. I started tearing it down as soon as it hit the garage. I worked an average of at least 20 hours per week since Aberdeen on both the mule and the 106. I have about 10 more hours of work on the mule and about another 24 hours on the 106 before i can mount it on the mule and ready for Gilbert in September. I will also bring it to the USMC birthday celebration in Philly on November 10th. I would not discourage any one from purchasing a project mule I would just like to point out what it takes to rebuild one.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I have to say MACCUS wouldn't do anyone wrong. I got mine from him (who by the way got me into the MV mess). Kenny if you want one he is the person to get one from, just remember they are the most money per pound of any MV I have had. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couldn't agree with you more Jim. Lots of $$ per #. Still be kinda cool, then again, I did watch you get your kidneys bashed out on the GA trail last year.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maccus said:
...as we all know they only made 10,280 of them and half were left in Viet Nam so they will become worth more and more every year...
I don't know, we're a trading partner with Vietnam now. I wouldn't doubt that a bunch of them haven't been discreetly flowing into the USA collector's market over the past few years. Load a bunch into a container, Customs lets the container of "farm tractors" through, and before you know it, someone has a "newly discovered surplus pile of mules that some farmer has been sitting on for years and years, and only recently decided to sell off".

I'm still kicking myself over the one I missed for $800 about 10 years back because I put off making the phone call until too late.... :(

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haha Gene, it's going to take much more than a mule for me to get rid of the M108. Probably take my death! Truth of the matter is I'm probably just spewing gas, I don't have the cash to feed one or the patience to work on the stubborn little things.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So you have 2 mules now, Nick?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks