• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought my first M38A1 tonight

reitenger

Bought an M38A1 tonight that is in need of resto. According to the data tag it was a USMC radio jeep. It was evidently comandeered by the navy at some point and painted orange. Probably means it was near a flightline somewhere. It is missing the engine, windshield assy, top and all the gear hanging off the back, but has relatively little rust.
Plan is to get it back close to original and drive it a bit.

Where can I find out where the jeep was originally issued?

Serial Number - 25872
Ordnance Stock Number - G-2758-6800361
Contract NUmber - DA-33-019-ORD-630

Thanks

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks pretty solid-a lot of these old Jeeps are just rustbuckets. Yours looks really solid.

Mine was missing a lot of the same stuff yours was-lift rings, top bows and brackets, etc. I am getting closer to having everything for mine.

txdodge43man

Good find dont see a lot of origanl USN or USMC jeeps out there . The home made antenna brakets are pretty cool. Hope you go back to USMC with it always like the color better that army green.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice nerf ball...er....jeep, you have there! Sorry, the orange color messed me up! :) Any idea what radio used to be installed in the back of that rig? Any data plates that might hint to it's configuration?

reitenger

The data plate for the radio stuff is there, but painted over orange pretty heavy. I figured I could wait to remove the paint until I get it home and ripped apart.

Definitely going back to the original USMC green. Screw Navy orange.
Of course this is coming from someone that spent 5yrs in the Corp.

Guy told me when I talked to him on the phone that the engine, tranny and transfer were all gone.....
Got it for $500 delivered so i'm happy with it. New floorboard on the passenger side and under the toolbox and it will be solid again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks