• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intercom's "CAN YOU HEAR ME KNOW"

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have had several requests to help find the C2297/2296 box sets that are normally used with tanks as an infantry support phone. In three of the four cases the person was wanting it for use in the back of a deuce. Obviously you would already have to have a VIC 1 system installed for operting the 2297/2296.

Couple things about this:

1. Cost is an issue with the 2297/2296 combination due to the supply of these boxes. I don't know how much they would be but I think I would probably have to pay between $50-100 for each of the boxes.

2. The phone on the 2297 box is a...well, phone. You have to hold it up to your ear and talk on a mic that is not necessarily made for a high noise environment. Granted they are used on the back of the tanks. I personally have never had to use one but I kinda imagine there would be a bit of "HUH?, WHAT?, SAY AGAIN?" over the phone since it is a phone.

3. Availability versus reliability and replacement is an issue. Been at it a year and have not run into any so I doubt they are readily available. When I do get one I will probably only get one set and it will probably be awhile before I can get another. Although these systems are somewhat simple to fix, the one that I probably would get would probably be used and may not work.

4. In use the phone is permanently attached. Where you mount it is open to various opinions. The rear of the cargo bed allows for operation with a rear ground guide at night but leaves it in a location for getting beat up when loading cargo somewhat more than a front corner. Even then if you load tall pallets or carry gravel/mulch or other stuff in your bed, it could still get damaged. The cord is also a concern to me since it could snag on a lot of things.

SOLUTION:
My suggestion is using the standard (and readily available) 2298 box instead. Cost around $20 and use the H161 or pork chop mic with H251 headset. You will be able to hear a lot better with headphones than a phone. Cost is better. If you knock it to pieces when loading a pallet, you buy another one--so what, it's $20. The headset/mic is removable so you pull it off if carrying cargo and stow it. Location is no problem at $20 just buy 2 and mount one in each location. You can also get extended cords for the headset so you can dismount your ground guide and still be plugged into the VIC system to guide that hook up of the M105 or M149 trailer. I don't think there are extensions for the phone set and even if there are, you end up have a longer cord that can get hung up on stuff.

That's my suggestion. Might not be as sexy as saying "I have a 2297/2296" but quite affordable and funtional.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Intercom

I have solved all these issues and the intercom issue by using a pair of powercoms. Basiclly it's a headset with a built in FRS radio. I can communicate wirelessly with my passenger inside or outside the truck. They can be a ground giude as well. Can also work truck to truck. 2 deuces with 2 passengers each can all be interconnected if need be. You can aslo purchase a patch cord and pipe in a second radio or cell phone. Powercoms aren't cheap though

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Intercom

Recovry4x4 said:
I have solved all these issues and the intercom issue by using a pair of powercoms. Basiclly it's a headset with a built in FRS radio. I can communicate wirelessly with my passenger inside or outside the truck. They can be a ground giude as well. Can also work truck to truck. 2 deuces with 2 passengers each can all be interconnected if need be. You can aslo purchase a patch cord and pipe in a second radio or cell phone. Powercoms aren't cheap though
I also use powercoms. Older ones but work fine none the less. I am gonna look for newer ones that don't need the belt box and can plug in cell phone or music.

scooter01922

I guess this is as good a place to post this as any. What are the lagalities concerned with driving with in intercom on?? Thought there was a law or something about headsets while driving. I could be wrong or simply misinformed because i can't seem to find any reference to it at the moment. Could certainly just be a MA thing. But i'm thinking an intercom for the deuce would be a nice way to keep the noise and yet be able to communicate.

ida34

The point of the law is so you can hear other traffic. My point is I can barely hear anything over the deuce anyway. I have not come across any such law in Michigan or Tennessee but I have not specifically looked. I may try to look tonight. I do no that tv screens in the front are a no no in Michigan. That is why you need to trick the in dash DVD players to actually play a DVD while driving. On the intercom thing, I have also tried to use my aviation headsets and intercom. The nice part about them is the fact it is vox. You don't have to push a button like on the vic-1. I had thought the vic one was vox before I bought mine but I like the military look of the stuff. I have an extra long bailout cord on a set of H-161 headsets. It would be enough to catch everywhere in the bed and probably a ground guide also with the 2298 installed in the front of the bed.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Intercom

maddawg308 said:
You spelled "NOW" wrong, oh wise and Grammar-class-failing Tarmac. :D
It was a test. I guess you passed.

Now you know what I know the know is know and now is now and even right now I still feel like I have a hangover and didn't even drink last night. That sucks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Intercom

Chuck, ISn't there a full duplex mode on the VIC1? IIRC thats one of the reasons I sold mine, the kid wouldn't stop singing with them on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks