• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VA DMV now rejecting GL's SF-97

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I went to the DMV 3 weeks ago to title the M105A2. I walked in, titled it, and walked out in less than 20 minutes. I have titled 3 other GL items there in exactly the same way.

Today was different though. The lady (who knows me on a first name basis) disappeared into the back office. She came back 10 minutes later explaining that Richmond won't accept a SF-97 that has been reassigned. She said they need to see my name on the SF-97. I explained to her that I had just titled a trailer like that 3 weeks ago and she said that lady got in trouble with the DMV big bosses for that. None of them were willing to do it now. The woman she talked to was the main title clerk in Richmond.

Have any of you VA SS'ers had this issue lately? The next closest DMV is 35 minutes from here, which doesn't work on a lunch break.

I guess I need to raise heck with GL now to see if I can get a FL title :evil:

It's almost not worth it anymore :roll:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
steelsoldiers said:
It's almost not worth it anymore :roll:
Ya get the feeling that the powers that be don't want military vehicles being owned and titled by the commoners? :(

You might try the route that dm22630 did to get titles to his trucks, without even going through the hassle of getting the SF97. Simply picked up the trucks, then dealt with some Title Company (have to search the threads, I forgot the name of the place) that got him his titles in a couple weeks. VERY fast.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In MD, they give us the standard bill of sale, SF97 in GL's name and a FL dealer reassignment form. To date, MD has accepted this paperwork. I wish they would simply give everyone a title like they used to (if you requested one). What a PITA!

Green_gator

RE: Re: VA DMV now rejecting GL

Chris,
For my Brother's deuce, I bought it so GL will issue me a Florida title and then I am selling it to him once I have a clean title. I do ot see any reason that that type of arrangement could not work for others. As long as you know what you are willing to set as a max bid and have the Florida member bidding it should work. I know if Florida I can sell up to six vehicles a year and not have any issues with the state about being a used car dealership. The two biggest issues would be finding the right person and is this something that GL would deem inappropriate and cause trouble.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Chris, you should know better. You are not the first one to have this trouble of the dmv not accepting the "same old" paperwork. They are also upping the initial bids to $150. They just renewed their monopoly, why should they give a rat's azz about anything else? Can you get a tag for a "home built" trailer? Thats the route I'd go.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Yeah, I thought about ITS, but it just ticks me off that I already paid $60 for useless paperwork. VA DMV doesn't give a hoot about a bill-of-sale. I love how GL takes a FL title reassignment form and just scratches the word "title" out and writes SF-97 in above it. I can't imagine why the DMV has issue with that (sarcasm).

I have an email into GL about getting a FL title. We'll see what they say.

CGarbee

I'd call Richmond and ask them how they expect you to title a vehicle that you purchased from GL (the Federal Gov't's Contractor) given that the they are providing you with a SF97 and a dealer reasignment... Ask them why the paperwork/procedure that used to work no longer is acceptable, why, and what the current procedure is...
Explain why the change is a hardship (not just for you, but for everyone else purchasing DOD surplus.

I can't find the name of the head of the title section in Richmond using the DMV website, but I did come up with:
Commissioner Customer Service Line
Toll Free Dial 866-266-6474
Executive Office 804-367-6602

Start as near the top as you can and work down... :)

Tanner

Hot poker in rear or trying times at DMV...

I'm still a noob on a lot of this title crap, but I'd like to post an observation...

I'd recommend that this entire forum get out of the mindset of using the title services for getting 'titles' for vehicles - IMH(but accurate)O, I think that the use of these services is just setting a precedent for the DMV/BMV folks in these Great 50 States to use this against the OD community as a means of saying that collectors are less than willing to go the 'legit' route in obtaining vehicle paperwork... Garbee has done a tremendous service to this group by citing his experience on his website for getting a title by bond - Yes, it's through the NC DMV, but each state ought to have a similar process...

I know that I can't be the only person on this forum, noob or veteran, that has had this same thought.

Even if it costs a few bucks more or takes a bit more time to traverse the forms at your local license office, it's gotta' give a bit more 'piece of mind' to the state's officials that we are trying to portray ourselves as above-board in going the proper route for titling these pieces of iron...

And you'd have to be stupid (pointing at no one here) to think that state DMV offices don't have people cruising these forums looking for info regarding people trying to use 'other means' in titling their vehicles.

Rant Off - but then again, I wasn't having a rant... just some random concious streams of thought about this whole titling issue.

Flame on - I can take it... :)

Tanner

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never had a problem registering MV's thru NYS DMV with SF-97's or existing titles. I get some strange looks, but always walked out with what I needed.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is the first time I have ever had a problem in WV or VA. My WV SF-97 was in my name though. The DMV's biggest issue is the reassignment of the SF-97, not the SF-97 itself. Most of the clerks I have worked with already knew what a SF-97 was. They just aren't talking the reassignment letters from GL.

papercu

Title

Walter Actually you only get two cars per year. Georgia is about the same. Here Florida law. Wayne

Florida law states that any person, firm partnership, or corporation that buys, sells, offers for sale, displays for sale or deals in three or more motor vehicles in any 12-month period is presumed to be a motor vehicle dealer and must have an appropriate license issued by the State.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/dealer.html

HeadWizard

SS-

I just put in a message to the Comptroller of the VA DMV about this issue. (Ex-family member). He and I spoke at length about the GL / SF97 / titling / illegal collecting of sales tax on vehicles sold in VA issues about a month ago. He indicated that VA DMV was working on / had approved accepting bills of sale only on GL sold vehicles. They are aware of the problem and apparently are doing something about it. He's out of town until Thursday and I'll follow up them. Hopefully we'll be able to get some sort of answer. I've got 11 pending SF97's and titles to get.

HW

RE: Title

when I finally got all my stuff, I got the SF-97 and the FL title, and the notarized bill of sale for each truck....... strange.... the only trouble I had with them is the VIN they didn't like it cuz it wasn't standard.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
HeadWizard said:
SS-

I just put in a message to the Comptroller of the VA DMV about this issue. (Ex-family member). He and I spoke at length about the GL / SF97 / titling / illegal collecting of sales tax on vehicles sold in VA issues about a month ago. He indicated that VA DMV was working on / had approved accepting bills of sale only on GL sold vehicles. They are aware of the problem and apparently are doing something about it. He's out of town until Thursday and I'll follow up them. Hopefully we'll be able to get some sort of answer. I've got 11 pending SF97's and titles to get.

HW
It's nice to have connections! I look forward to your follow-up. Thanks.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have had many strange looks in Maryland but always come out with a title and Historic plates. The low cost for two years is a plus as well. In the light of all of this trouble it would seem that GL would put the new owner, buyer on the SF 97 with the state of residence clearly indicated and show that they learned not to collect tax on the sale since the state holds that authority and will not let them do that. They refunded all my vehicle taxes when I proved that Maryland made me pay the same tax again and sent along a note from the Maryland code abut them being in violation by taking the tax. I am afraid we will not go back to the old days so lets just pull together to get everyone a title, plates, and insurance.

LanceRobson

To follow up on emmado22's post, the local DMV here in the People's Republic of New York accepts the re-assignment letter and recently accepted me assigning a deuce to a buyer without having to title it or having to register it first.

New York began issuing titles in 1973, so if the vehicle is a 1973 or newer it will need to be titled by the original buyer.

Lance

ida34

I had really expected this before now. In reality GL should be getting the title as on paper they are the first non-government owners. Whey they can't just give the 97 out in the winning bidders name is beyond me. It would seem since they are doing contract work for the government they should not have to have the 97 in GLs name. What we have been getting is like getting a title with a notorized letter stating I am selling this to jo blow without the paperwork being done in between. Imagine the kind of reaction you would get taking a title in with just a note from the owner saying he is transfering the title. The reassignment letter could be considered a limited power of attorney but once a higher up decides it is not good enough then that is just about it. What are the Virginia laws concerning a bonded title?

HeadWizard

ida34 said:
What are the Virginia laws concerning a bonded title?
VA does not have any language in it's code about bonded titles.

...but there is language that pretty clearly defines GL as a dealer in the state, which they are not.

We need to work toward a resolution that will get us our titles without additional time and expense. Sorry if it will require GL to comply with the state laws, that's the price of doing business.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I got an email back from GL. The very nice lady said they will issue me a paper title. Apparently I am the first person in VA to have a problem. I have to mail the SF-97 to AZ and then it will take another 10 days to get the title done. Sigh... At least it will be all legal like and my gals at the DMV will like me again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks