• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pyrometer installation

brgmchevy

Just wanted to show some pics of my gauge installation in the dash panel. [thumbzup] I didn't want an external mount. As I looked at the panel I figured I could do some rearranging of components for a stock look. I think it turned out well. :scool: Now for the panel re-install and the pyro probe installation. :rolleyes:

brgmchevy

Thanks, It took me some time to find the right gauge for the right price. Found it on ebay. It's a Stewart Warner so it closely matches the stock gauges. It cost me less than $100 and it is NEW. [thumbzup] Now I just have to wire it for 12volts and install the probe. Sweet deal, so far.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love it! Great job Guido! Good find on the gauge as well. Can you post the part number for that, its perfect.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it belonged! The 12 volt may only be for the light bulb. Usually the thermocouple gauges are "self powered". Check the bulb, perhaps all you need is a 24 volt bulb.

Any plans for a "boost" gauge?

brgmchevy

Thanks, I didn't mention that this is NOS. Paperwork is dated 1/81. It looks like a #4971. It is a bi-torque meter that requires a 12volt source. I'm gonna look for the SW resistor in their catalog.

brgmchevy

Removed the turbo in order to tap into it for the probe today. I'll try to reinstall it tomorrow. What a task. :smhair: I have a larger turbo and its quite heavy. Can't what til it's together and working correctly. :)

brgmchevy

I finished the installation and it's all back together. I started it up and all is working correctly. I have some wiring to do to it tomorrow and then I can take it for a test run. [thumbzup]

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on a great looking job! Still think you need to work on the boost gauge, though. It'll tell you how well the turbo is working. Would be interesting to know the stats on a stock engine.

brgmchevy

Well I ran the truck and noticed the temp max at 1250 going up long hills. :jumpin: Will have to replace the air filter and take notice of any change. If not, :nono: then I'll turn down the fuel a bit. I smell a funny smell when it nears 1200F? :blush:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drive by my pyro to make sure I DON'T go over 1,200F....always ease off at 1,150 or so. Funny smell, huh? How long did you keep it over 1,200?
Keep experimenting, we all learn something in the process.

brgmchevy

It smells until the temp lowers under 1200F. Only over 1200F for up to a minute. As soon as I crest a hill the temp will drop down to around 900 in about 30 seconds. The temp flucuates from 600 to 1100 pretty quickly under load and drops just as fast when cruising under 55mph. Its about 1100F at 55mph on semi-flats.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks