• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5kw gas genset problems

ptg530C

I let my 5kw genset sit for 5 or 6 years and now it will not run. It ran great before I quit using it because it was too loud. Now I have a trailer for it and enclosures but I cannot get the damn thing to run. Any experts out there? I have the tm's on it but they are not that clear as what to do for remedies.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Needs spark and fuel. Obviously it's not getting one or the other. Can you check that out and report back? Carb may be gummed up or the contact points in the magneto may be corroded.

ptg530C

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. First off, it is not getting fuel and I have no idea of how to remedy that. I also
took the magneto apart to check for spark and I really could not determine if it was or not. I ordered new points and plugs from colemans but niether were the correct parts as usual. I am normally not so inept with this stuff but i am having a hard time even pulling the plugs. The worse thing is the unit is almost brand new, 30 hours and like brand new and it used to run like it also. Any tips would be appreciated. I am going to check out the depot tm's so thanks for the pointing those out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick snap spin of the magneto will usually show if you're getting spark. I'd go as far as filing the points just to determine that. Once filed though, the points don't last too long. I've also found that once the carbs stop flowing fuel, it's much less of a problem to just replace them. Before I did that though, I''d check the fuel pump. On my MEP016 sets, the fuel pumps tend to go out. If you determine that you have spark, you might try gravity feeding fuel to the carb with a cup and hose to see if she lights up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks