• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sold truck before SF-97

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I sell a truck before I apply for the SF-97 can I have it put in the guys name who purchased it or do I have to have it in my name? The lady at my local DMV told me I have to title it in my name, wait for the title, then transfer it to him. That would mean I have to pay all the fees (including tax), wait for the title, then he has to go through all the same BS. If there was a waiver or form I could fill out to have the SF-97 done in his name it would make things much easier.

JeepMan

In my opionion/knowledge --
Yep, YOU'RE the one buying it from the gov.
He's/she's buying it from YOU.
You have to have it in your name.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
emmado22 said:
I'd go with what your DV told you. Opinions on here arent the laws of YOUR state.....
Ya I understand, I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this or maybe bought one for a friend before and gone through the titling hassle.

randyscycle

We just tried the same thing here in VA. The owner of the deuce I bought hadn't gotten the SF-97, then filed for it in his name. Once we got it, the DMV here wouldn't accept it from me, and he had to file for the title in his name then transfer the title to me.

It only took a few minutes at the DMV and some paper shuffling and title costs. No big deal.

So in short the SF-97 is not transferrable, at least here in VA and it sounds as if most states are the same.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So were you able to transfer the title at the same time he applied for it or did you have to wait until he got the title in the mail and then go transfer it?

randyscycle

tie6044 said:
So were you able to transfer the title at the same time he applied for it or did you have to wait until he got the title in the mail and then go transfer it?

Here in VA they do it all on the spot. No waiting or mailing of titles. The DMV office prints them right there, so we did it all at the same time.

He just had his SF-97 and filled out the necessary DMV paperwork/application for title, transferred it into his name, then turned around, signed it over and I got it in my name.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Selling without title-ing in your name is called, "jumping title." Not legal in any state.

If you sell before the title is in your possession, it's not usually a problem unless there is a problem. That is, when the paperwork finally comes through, you can finish the transaction, but the sale will ride on the "bill-of-sale" that you (hopefully) completed when the vehicle left your possession. That still doesn't satisfy title and licensing requirements.

Now, I have gotten away with getting a temporary tag just by showing a bill-of-sale, but I almost think that was an error on the BMV's part. It seems like they have always wanted a title in order for them to issue a temp tag.

All-in-all, your buyer won't be able to do anything without a title, and you won't be able to give him a title until you get an SF97, title it in your name, then "sell" it to him through title transfer.

Just tell him to park it until you get the title to him, or he's going to be trying to tell someone the old, "blah, blah, blah" if he gets pulled over or gets in a wreck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks