• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone really been inside the transfer case?

Trango

I am wondering if it would be at all remotely possible to swap the gears in the transfer case... for either the 1:1 high gear, or swap the gears around in the "low" side.

It's a crazy idea, but I wonder if anyone has been inside here and if they understand how the gears are attached to the shafts (crossing fingers that they are just woodruff keyed in there).

Thanks

Bob

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob,

In both T-cases (air shift and sprag type) the two countershaft gears and the rear output gear are fixed via woodruff keys. Inside diameter or bore of all three gears is the same: 2.375". Since there is enough space you could swap the counter gears from front to rear. Same for the input gears (same bearings and clutch). Now comes the problem: You will have to build a new gear (25 t, same o.d. and pattern as small input gear, 2.375 bore) for the rear output. Crazy but possible you will end with a 1:1 "low range" (25:33:25) and a 1.98:1 (33:22/33:25) "overdrive" high range! Maybe good enough for deuce drag racing?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks