• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission options

Wick246

In my reading I keep finding little clues as to what other transmissions may be compatible with the Deuce with some modification. I have no idea what other options there might be out there but I started this thread as a query for any information you might have as well as a place for me to stick any info I run accross into one place.

Advantages may be more gears to take better advantage of the power band and larger overdrive ratio for a lower cruising r.p.m.

I think I read that the stock Deuce transmission uses a standard SAE #2 bell housing bolt pattern. I think the stock tranny is short in comparisson to others. I don't know how long the stock shaft is between the transmission and transfer case but if there is a little room to shorten the shaft fit different length transmissions there may be several options.

Stock overdrive is .85 to 1...

I'm off to look for more info and will update this as I find stuff.

Jones

If you're considering an automatic; I put an Allison AT545 against my 465 and I think my notes say that it's an SAE#3 pattern. Will check it to make sure. Allison puts out a whole package of Allison AT545 adaption notes for all the little details like torque converter flex plate design, spacing and etc. Have same and happy to share.
Hope this helps, Jones

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am very interested in possibly speeding up my deuce... Bigger tires are one option, but I want to keep duals in the back, and don't want to make the truck wider by flipping the hubs. The way I understand it the only way you can dual 11's is to flip the hubs for clearance beside the springs.

Now I would install a different transmission. BUT it would have to still drive my pto winch. I would like to have some more gears, 3 to 4 is a large gap.

Maybe a hydrualic winch, and a different tranny. Or a overdrive unit between the tranny and transfer.

Looking for 2000 rpm's at 65mph.

After driving to the rally, I am leary of going out of state and only being able to do 55. I have cleaned and adjusted all the brakes, and the truck stops good.

Any ideas?
Dennis

Last edited:

Wick246

Stretch I have considered an overdrive unit for the rear drive shaft only. Effectively you would have a 25 - 28% reduction in r.p.m.'s for the highway but would not be able to engage the front axle while using this. The p.t.o. would operate as normal and front wheel drive would still be available with the overdrive unit in low (1 to 1) for off road stuff. You would have two more u joints to fail and the overdrive unit itself. I wonder if there is enough room to strap a spare stock drive shaft to the trucks frame - if all else fails you could completely remove the overdrive unit and install the un-cut drive shaft to be back to slow but normal functioning.

This is of course assuming that there is not enough room between the transmission and transfer case for the overdrive unit.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be easier to install that way. I was going to slid the transfer back. Would have to remake the driveshafts.

Last edited:

Jones

Hello again Wick246,
The Allisons come in a variety of configurations to suit one's needs and the 545s are about the same length as the 5-speed (will tape mine to have some definate dimensions). I chose an earlier one so I would have a mechanical modulator and little or no electronics. The 545s are rated for vehicles bigger/heavier than a deuce and the only thing to be sure of is that it's out a diesel powered truck to begin with so that the valve body and shift governor are set up right. There's a model number and serial number on a tag on the side that your Allison dealer can feed into their computer which will tell how the transmission was built and with what options. Did I mention that they have a standard 6-bolt PTO opening on each side of the main housing... that's how they run hydraulic pumps and the like. One nice thing about Allisons is that they're so durable, the truck wrecking yards hardly ever get to sell one. Mine complete with linkage, shift tower and torque converter was $750.00 + tax. Don't think I got hurt too bad there. Email me at caleonard@earthlink.net and I'll get the Allison info to you.
Jones

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
one thing to remember in swaping trans, is the air poppet valves that shift the transfer for front wheel drive, a way to get around this is to install a reb manual shift kit, i want to change trans, in my m819, but havent found a way around the air poppet in the 5 ton

hot rod deuce

if any one wants another AT545 i have one i took off of my 6BT good shape but its 31 inches long i think and the stock 5 speed is around 25 1/2 from bell to u joint. There is no Over Drive so i hope you got big tires, even with 16:00 20's i cant get it to my liking so im going with a RTO 909 and adding a splitter box from an RTOO 913 and that will give me an RTLO 913 .73 overdrive and around 8:1 low gear. Then to top it off you can rework the splitter and split the bottom side making and RTLO 918, thats 18 forward gears. basicly its a 5 speed with grany that you split 2-3-4-5 shifts then flip and run through 2345 again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks