• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leece-Neville 100A Alternator

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Has anyone used one of these to do a 100 Amp conversion on a deuce or a 5-ton? The 100A conversion shown in the parts manual shows a big external regulator and additional wiring. This one has a self-contained regulator and wiring studs instead of a screw on plug. I searched the forums, but couldn't find any reference to this particular unit. Thanks!!

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks nice, should make the installation easy. The unit with the separate regulator uses very heavy duty cables and connectors. Off hand, the terminals on the alternator pictured above seem on the smallish side...You will also need a 3-section pulley.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Bjorn, thanks. I thought it looked pretty straight forward, but didn't want to try and reinvent the wheel. The lugs look a little small compared to some I've seen, but they are a good bit bigger than the lugs on a 100A alternator on a CUCV so they should be adequate. Can you explain the pulley to me? I will be using a serpentine belt system.

Westy, it certainly looks capable of some welding ;)

I think I'll leave it red just to poke the purists in the eye!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 100 amp alternator but it's smaller than that! I have not used it yet.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Leece-Neville 100A Alternator

steelsoldiers said:
Bjorn, thanks........ Can you explain the pulley to me? I will be using a serpentine belt system......
Well, you'll "transfer" about 3 hp of power via the belt(s), on the 8x8 there are 3 drive belts for the 100 amp generator, if there were less, there might be slippage at full load. Don't know how the serpentine belt will do...

Attachments

TacticalTruck

steelsoldiers said:
Has anyone used one of these to do a 100 Amp conversion on a deuce or a 5-ton? I searched the forums, but couldn't find any reference to this particular unit.
that's the alt for the 200amp CUCV charging system used in the M1010 and some M1028s.There are more compact 24V/100amp alts out there.
Jeff

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Re: Leece-Neville 100A Alternator

Thanks Jeff. Wow, that is a big arse alternator for a CUCV!

Bjorn, thanks for the pics. That makes sense. It remains to be seen if the serpentine pulley will line up with the rest of the engine.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: Leece-Neville 100A Alternator

Where can I get one like it for my M818 it is currently wearing a dead Alternator and the duece one may be going up soon 100 Amps sounds just right.

TacticalTruck

Re: RE: Re: Leece-Neville 100A Alternator

steelsoldiers said:
Ya, and they squeeze two of them under the hood w/ an AC compressor.
I know you probably got a deal on it but there are many civi alts that are more compact and rated at 100amps. Call your local rebuild shop and ask. We just hung one on the Meerkat for a defense contractor and it is bing driven by only two v-belts.
jeff

built for low rpm...

true,there are more compact units avaiable...but the leece neville puts out fairly high
current at low rpm's.something like 45 amps at idle iirc.the m-1010 uses a pully with 1 groove.a 2 groove pully should be adequate at full load.a large alt should run a lot cooler under load as well.
personally,i'd keep the large alt if i had space.lots of room under a deuce hood,i expect.an excellent alt for a large diesel truck...it's what they were built for.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

TacticalTruck said:
steelsoldiers said:
Ya, and they squeeze two of them under the hood w/ an AC compressor.
I know you probably got a deal on it but there are many civi alts that are more compact and rated at 100amps. Call your local rebuild shop and ask. We just hung one on the Meerkat for a defense contractor and it is bing driven by only two v-belts.
jeff
On the CUCV, they should be 12 volt units, right? So that's only 1/2 the power....

TacticalTruck

cranetruck said:
On the CUCV, they should be 12 volt units, right? So that's only 1/2 the power....
Not on the 200 amp system. There have been many discussions about the problematic M1010 charging system. CUCVFAN is very familiar with them. Look in the TM section.
Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks