• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need advice, im a new collector

Bambikiller

I happened across this jeep in a field and bought it, paid $1500 for it. took almost 6 months to get it titled as a military vehicle. Heres where I need advice, being new to this an all, How do I tell if this jeep has been cut up? is there certain areas on the body or underneath that will let me know? Also, how are the sparkplugs numbered, I cant find anything on the engine to tell me, want to make sure im getting the firing scheme down, because it spits and sputters alot.

I also have a 1940's something command car, built by dodge, with a slanted hood, any ideas on the model? 2nd project after the jeep. Thanks in advance

Attachments

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I drove an M151A1 for 33 months every day. Mine was a Ford 1/4 ton. Sure would love to get my hands on one. Look at the underside you should be able to see if it was cut. $1500 you stole it [thumbzup]

ssgtwright-usmc

For your Dodge, I beleive it might be a VC-1 thru VC6 Command Car.
They came in 6 basics body styles; VC-1 Command and Reconnaissance, VC-2 Radio Car, VC-3 closed Cab pickup with troop seats, VC4 closed cab pickup without troop seats, VC-5 open cab pickup with troop seats and the VC-6 Carryall.
The engine was a Dodge T-202 inline flathead six. It made 79hp from 201 cubic inches.
A collectors value of such vehicle can run as much as $55,000.
This was from an article from 4 wheel parts magazine (Off-Road Adventures) July 2008 issue.

cobra5

bambikiller,

Looks like a nice vehicle and the price was great. Did it come with a title? You may want to go to this site www.g838.org they are strictly m151 specific and a lot of great knowledgeable guys there to help out.

vtdeucedriver

cobra5 said:
bambikiller,

Looks like a nice vehicle and the price was great. Did it come with a title? You may want to go to this site www.g838.org they are strictly m151 specific and a lot of great knowledgeable guys there to help out.

G838 site is a must!!!!!!!

Take a look at your tub, if you look close for a weld along the floor from the drivers side to the passenger side. It does not look like its X cut. If its uncut, you got a HELL of a deal. Spark plugs are #2243, the firing order, I will need to look up. If she has been sitting, chances are you need to clean out the carb. Not to menion the intank fuel pump, is it ticking when its running???

If you need any help
vtdeucedriver@yahoo.com

I paid too much for what it is!!!!!

Attachments

pa.rich

About the M151, you will see where it was cut and rewelded together. When they cut those up they did it in such a way as to make it difficult to redo. The cut ones I saw were reassembled real well. If you dont see the welds yours probalbly wasnt cut. You cant miss em if they were. You got a good price on that jeep. It looks good.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A shamless plug here, I have NOS heater kits and electric wipers fir the 151 :) See the classifieds. I lowered the wiper price

poppop

That is a great looking Mutt. If it was cut someone did an excellent job putting it back together. If it was not cut then you stole it. Mine is painfully obvious were it was welded back together.

mutt1966

from the pic I'd say that its uncut looks like its an origanal one of those finds that ya hear about but never are able to find for your self. Ya got a great deal there. Scott O&O

mutt1966

Does it have the Data Plate on the dash taking a closer look at the pic if its the original wind shield it should be a '67 or earlier M151A1 go to Google and type in Ken the MuttGuru the man knows them up and down.

bazookajoe

I happened across this jeep in a field and bought it, paid $1500 for it. took almost 6 months to get it titled as a military vehicle. Heres where I need advice, being new to this an all, How do I tell if this jeep has been cut up? is there certain areas on the body or underneath that will let me know? Also, how are the sparkplugs numbered, I cant find anything on the engine to tell me, want to make sure im getting the firing scheme down, because it spits and sputters alot.

I also have a 1940's something command car, built by dodge, with a slanted hood, any ideas on the model? 2nd project after the jeep. Thanks in advance
Chances are that your carburetor is in need of a PROPER rebuild ,I have 4m-151's and have rebuilt many others and have found the carb usually to be the culprit. you can e-mail me directly for more details.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks