• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

F-16 tail FS

HAWKMAN

Just the dorsel, not in too bad of condition. When I figure out how to post pics I will but I can E-mail pics to anyone that wants them. One of a kind item I think. $3000.00 Bring a big truck to transport.

White666

Just the dorsel, not in too bad of condition. When I figure out how to post pics I will but I can E-mail pics to anyone that wants them. One of a kind item I think. $3000.00 Bring a big truck to transport.
Just for info on this old post...here is the mishap report for this crash.

Collided with an F-16C (84-1286) from the same squadron over the Atlantic just off the coast. The two aircraft were to rendezvous just after take-off. There destination was Whiskey-107, an ocean training area located 40 miles from Atlantic City. One crew member was rescued at 21:15 hours in good shape. The other crew member was picked up at 21:25 hours and was taken to a trauma center where his condition was stabilized. He had suffered a gash to his head. Damage to the F-16C was to its left wing, horizontal stabiliser, fuselage, canopy and the engine. Damage to this aircraft is estimated to be $1.15 million worth. The F-16D was recovered from the ocean but is a total write off. The aircraft was valued at $16.3 million at the time of the crash. The aircraft belonged to the New Jersey ANG. Surprisingly, blame for the accident was placed on both pilots. The F-16D pilot thought the other aircraft was miles ahead. By the time he spotted the other aircraft it was too late. Lack of communication between both pilots contributed to the accident, as well, both aircraft had their strobe lights turned off. Both pilots were grounded.

HAWKMAN

Thanks for this info! I had taken the tail to my Gilbert show a couple years ago and had a man tell me that this accident had accured due to one pilot having 'roadrage' towards the other, thanks for giving me the straight scoop. Also I do have the rest of the plane, though there isn't much left. I can say that I've come a long way in two years as I would never post a FS item in the main forum now!

toptiger

Better start doing some corrosion work on those mag/aluminum sections asap or that tail will soon be just a pile of dust. Look at fixing the the leading edge first. I expect salt is everywhere so a fresh water soak , rinse and repeat , power wash inside is the first step. Then apply a product called corrosionx

bratpackdad

What you have there is an F-16D that belonged to Maj. John Barton & Maj. Thomas Bartel
119 FSNew Jersey ANG. Call 'em and ask if they want to buy it back..Attached is a "before" pic..
You have the "after." lol...

Attachments

White666

Forgot to add bedore, don't mess with the carbon on the leading edge of that thing, bonding agents were not as good back in '84 as they are now. Those carbon particles will embed in your skin and lungs, can cause alot off health issues. Pour regular floor wax on any exposed areas, it'll prevent any loose pieces from coming off when it is handled. I've worked the f-16 for a few years now, and been crash/recovery certified for the last 7years.

Last edited:

HAWKMAN

Forgot to add bedore, don't mess with the carbon on the leading edge of that thing, bonding agents were not as good back in '84 as they are now. Those carbon particles will embed in your skin and lungs, can cause alot off health issues. Pour regular floor wax on any exposed areas, it'll prevent any loose pieces from coming off when it is handled. I've worked the f-16 for a few years now, and been crash/recovery certified for the last 7years.
OK..Thanks for the 'heads-up' on this! I was going to grind/fix the tail earlier this year but just never found the time...guess I'll just leave it alone.If it doesn't sell Im just going to put it in front of my store for display. here's a pic of the cockpit area:

HAWKMAN

I meant to ask, when was the incident and when did you acquire what was left? And as a bonus if I may ask, HOW did you acquire it? LOL
Not sure when the plane came to grief but I aquired it about three years ago from a fellow surplus/scrap person. He was going to just scrap it...and, of course, me being me, saw this and just had to have it. He said that it was purchased from Lakehurst at a scrap auction (this was before GL.....I think it was Levy Lathum) my buddy said that they had to get the guy with the crain to break it in half so it would fit on his trailer (remember...he was just going to scrap it) fortunately he wasn't fast in getting around to scrapping this and it sat in his yard surrounded by weeds and small trees until I saw it. It took me a year and a half to get it out to the road and get a truck & trailer big enough to move it and it still took me two trips to get it all! here's a pic of the magazine for the cannon ( round drum like thing) that was mounted right behind the second pilot, also found the feed mechanism and ammo chutes for the cannon...also dash pic............neet stuff:-D:-D:-D

PaulbusMax

Interesting, how much of the components were released for sale. Especially any gun parts which are strictly controlled. I see a couple multifunction displays there too. I worked on this aircraft at the factory here in Fort Worth. Brand new off the show room floor. I agree with those concerned about the composite material, nasty stuff, don't get a splinter. I'd love that vertical stabilizer. It would look great at my place. Heck there are probably one or two of my old inspection stamps still legible somewhere in there.

White666

The crash was about 16 Sept 1997, and all the pieces that he has have been exposed to salt water which is grounds for a complete write off (the 2nd jet in the crash was repaired and flown till some time between 2003-2007 when it was sent to the boneyard), are old tech (as far as the f-16 goes) and unclassified assets. the 1st picture that he posted is the gun drum, the 2nd is off the MFD's which are also old tech (picture 1984 apple computer black screen with green caracters). This was an '84 model aircraft....block 30 or lower. 90% of these are sitting in the bone yard down in tucson az, or on the way to Boeing at Cecil Field, Florida to be modded into the QF-16 unmanned drone. ( our supply of QF-4 acft are running a little thin...hard to get f-4's now)

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting, how much of the components were released for sale. Especially any gun parts which are strictly controlled. I see a couple multifunction displays there too. I worked on this aircraft at the factory here in Fort Worth. Brand new off the show room floor. I agree with those concerned about the composite material, nasty stuff, don't get a splinter. I'd love that vertical stabilizer. It would look great at my place. Heck there are probably one or two of my old inspection stamps still legible somewhere in there.
My 2cents. Anything with carbon fiber is bad news. I'm an AMIC (USAF Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course) graduate. Carbon fiber was an entire section of our curriculum. If you show the wreckage off, keep people away from it. That fiber is into the microscopic size and drills itself into soft tissue and keeps going. REALLY BAD STUFF. We we'ren't allowed near a crash site till speacialized teams temporarily stabilized the wreckage. We could then do our investigation then the wreckage, once all legal aspects were resolved, was supposed to be completely destroyed to prevent contamination. If that model has any of this carbon....good luck.

White666

My 2cents. Anything with carbon fiber is bad news. I'm an AMIC (USAF Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course) graduate. Carbon fiber was an entire section of our curriculum. If you show the wreckage off, keep people away from it. That fiber is into the microscopic size and drills itself into soft tissue and keeps going. REALLY BAD STUFF. We we'ren't allowed near a crash site till speacialized teams temporarily stabilized the wreckage. We could then do our investigation then the wreckage, once all legal aspects were resolved, was supposed to be completely destroyed to prevent contamination. If that model has any of this carbon....good luck.

I was part of the team that has to stabilize wreckage (now its all civilian)...we used just plain wal-mart brand floor wax to seal the fibers for transport. There is no destroying the stuff, burning it only releases the fibers, storing it only lets it break down and release fibers....alot of it ends up barried at the bombing ranges.

PaulbusMax

Yep, both skins of that vetical stab are composite. I remember the lengthy taining we received on the hazards of what was referred to as "corker" (carbon composites), when i was doing Disaster Response at Hill AFB. Sure enough the first F-16 crash was there, about all that was left was a charred vertical stab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks