• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slip joint orientation

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the TM, the slip joint is to be installed "forward" when mounting the drive shafts. After a casual search (google also), nothing pops up to explain this, so why is it important?
I assume "forward" means towards the front of the vehicle and may have something to do with exposure of the seal to dirt and debris perhaps?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Slip joint orientation

sermis said:
I think to let water drain out?
They are not all tilted down....
From the 2320-260-20 TM page 2-240, the slip yoke is always at the "power input end", so the drive shaft shown in the image from the transfer to the 2nd axle is not installed correctly.

Attachments

dlawbrey

On the 5 ton it allows the shaft to clear the trans at the point where a pto would be installed on the drivers side of the tranny.We had a truck that had it installed with slip joint to the frontand it peeled the heads off of the bolts holding the cover on the tranny. This is for the front drive shaft.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks