• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Differential

moleary

Looks like I've got a problem with the front differential. There is a lot of slop in the drivetrain (almost a quarter turn back and forth) and my mechanic says that is way out of tolerance. He is recommending that we replace the front (and maybe the back) differentials. There is a distinct "clunk" when I put the vehicle into gear.

Does that sound like to much slop? If so, how much is one of those differentials going to set me back? I was almost finished with the mechanical restoration and getting ready for paint... now I may be set way back.

Thanks for any insights you can offer!

OLDCHEV4X4

Check you driveshaft's for slop in the splines and the u joints 1st.
Take them off and turn the yoke where the driveshafts bolt to, And see how much slop is there. If there is alot of slop at the yoke, pull the cover and see if something is wrong. Mabey its something easy like the ring gear bolts are loose. Or the yoke bolt is loose.
Without taking things apart and checking them, how can the mechanic say "you need new diferentials". If this is beyond your skills then get a second opinion.

moleary

Thanks for the quick response. My mechanic had the diff inspection plate off and was watching the gears as he rotated the driveshaft. He pointed to the back and forth play of the gears in the diff as being the issue that caused him to call for a replacement. I'll ask him to inspect the yoke bolt, ring gear bolts too. Anything else he should check?

OLDCHEV4X4

If the ring and pinion are truely the reason for the slop, And there is no broken or chiped teeth, I have reset-up the gears with good results. They might wine a little, but have not broken.

jwaller

slop and clunk is normal in these things. dont let him sell you something you dont need. now if you had a half turn or something then ya maybe but not what you describe. mine does the same thing and has been doing it for as long as I've had it and I've put 10k miles on it so far.

moleary

OLDCHEV4X4 said:
If the ring and pinion are truely the reason for the slop, And there is no broken or chiped teeth, I have reset-up the gears with good results. They might wine a little, but have not broken.
According to my mechanic the ring and pinion look okay - its the planetary that appears to be the issue.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jawaller nailed it! When you rotate the drive line, your winding up all the slack to the front wheels/ splines/ball joints and all.

Stick you finger in the lube oil, and look at it under a light - any sparklies in it? Then just drive it.

Lee in Alaska