• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 Registration Numbers

vaporized

Hello, my name is Johan Westerbrink, i come from Holland ( the Netherlands ) and i own @ M880,
Can somebody help me figuring this code out : NG-OGDB, it was painted on my M880 before i started the restauration @ year ago...

I think that i know what NG stands for ( National Guard, but OGDB, i don't have a clue..

McGuyver

Every m880 I have come across had a registration number that started with an "NG" or "NGO". Also, they all seem to consist of 6 characters, such as "NGOXXX".

Johan- welcome to the site.

When I saw this question I had to get my book back from CitizenSoldier. 2nd Edition, Standard Catalog of U.S. Military Vehicles by Doyle (excellent reference) Appendix 2 "Color and Markings of . . ."

From the early 70's forward through current the NG prefix shows a wheeled 1 1/4 ton vehicle. This also applies to CUCVs and HMMWVs. The ones I've seen in my service usually included one numeric, so the "O" (oh) is probably a "0" (zero). It is not related to National Guard service but applies to all ARMY registrations.

vaporized

McGuyver & bigbee, thnx for your help so far, the info about the NG / NGO or NG 0 is great, but what can i do with the code gdb ( maybe its standsfor GrounDBomber :) )...

Is there anyway to trace back some info about it, or maybe my VIN code ? I know my truck was made @ the Warren No 1 factory.. and checked the info about the engine and every thing else in the VIN code..

You entered the VIN Number: W24BE6S343863

W2 = MODEL DESIGNATION - W200
4 = BODY TYPE - Conventional Cab W/Sweptline (Standard Box)
B = GVW CLASS - 6001 to 10000 lbs
E = ENGINE TYPE - 318-1
6 = MODEL YEAR - 1976
S = ASSEMBLY PLANT - Warren Plant No 1

343863 = Sequential Serial Number

Maybe i can get some info with the Sequential Serial Number, but i searched for some info but i don't have any books of some of the history about my / any M880

Btw bigbee, can you give me an ISBN number of the book, so i can try to order it for myself... thnx !

vaporized

vaporized said:
McGuyver & bigbee, thnx for your help so far, the info about the NG / NGO or NG 0 is great, but what can i do with the code gdb ( maybe its standsfor GrounDBomber :) )...

Is there anyway to trace back some info about it, or maybe my VIN code ? I know my truck was made @ the Warren No 1 factory.. and checked the info about the engine and every thing else in the VIN code..

You entered the VIN Number: W24BE6S343863

W2 = MODEL DESIGNATION - W200
4 = BODY TYPE - Conventional Cab W/Sweptline (Standard Box)
B = GVW CLASS - 6001 to 10000 lbs
E = ENGINE TYPE - 318-1
6 = MODEL YEAR - 1976
S = ASSEMBLY PLANT - Warren Plant No 1

343863 = Sequential Serial Number

Maybe i can get some info with the Sequential Serial Number, but i searched for some info but i don't have any books of some of the history about my / any M880 ( can it be possible that the SSN also is my bumper number of anything ? )

Btw bigbee, can you give me an ISBN number of the book, so i can try to order it for myself... thnx !

Johan-

The ISBN for Doyle's book is: 0-87349-508-X. MVPA has it in their Supply Room in the Supply line newsletter.

The last three digits of the registration number have no real meaning. They are numbers assigned in some kind of sequence as the vehicles were accepted from the manufacturer. The reg on the 880 I drive for the Museum is NG12JV. I would expect the one off the line before it would have been NG12JU and the one after it to be NG12JW, but I can't say for sure.

Bob H-the first part of this post is yours-a link to a data base that I can't open. Is this a registry of dates and numbers?

Bumper numbers are not related to the registration number. Bumper numbers change as the truck gets transferred from one unit to another, or reassigned to a different section of the same unit. The registration number is with the truck from the day it's accepted by the Army.

vaporized

Bigbee, thank you for your effort en information, you've been very helpfull, I believe that the link of Bob - H is an old topic of the old forum but i'm not sure....

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a link to my question about the Reg #'s on the old board, that I guess went bye-bye.

Thanks Brian, for the answer.

Many have assumed that the NG meant National Gaurd, but I wasn't buying it, because every M880/ M1000/M998 series truck I have seen started with NG

on my M886 it is NG0QAM, I am assuming :oops: the AM was meant for Ambulance.
I was told by a guy from TACOM Warren that the Reg #'s were tied to the original build contracts.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somewhere I have a list of what the XX prefixes mean on the vehicles/trailers. Every class of vehicle has it's own special 2 first letters. The rest of the letters are some kind of THAT vehicle specific's serial #. The reggie number follows the vehicle from the assembly line to unit to unit to DRMO, and never changes.. Bumper #'s change, reggie NEVER does. It's so TACOM can track vehicle fleets, MWO's, and all sorts of stuff.

vaporized

Is there a way that you look @ the list for me, en find out what the NG really stands for ?

Your help is welcome !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks