• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camp Lejune mk17 hitch needed? Tow off base possible?

turnerman

Does anyone have a hitch for the mk17 rear units? Need to tow one from Lejune. I have a hitch but would have to weld on. If I can't find an original hitch is there anyone who could tow an mk17 off base to a staging point I could weld the hitch at?

Attachments

peecook

there was a pallet of them that sold out of NC a couple months ago. not sure if anyone knows who got them, but there were probably 6 could figure out why the didnt put them on the 20+ trailers there without the hitches. good luck

turnerman

Thought I would either put the crane on one of my dueces or cut the rear off a duece and weld the mk17 to the duece front. Got to get it home first!

ssspot

Turnerman, which crane did your mk17 have? The one with the winch. Any problems with GL on the pick up , did they stick to the Monday only? Was Jimmy Wrecker ez to work with? Ru close enough to inspect the current lot at Lejuene?

One inch steel plate, stencil off docking plate, water jet, 12 inch C channel, lots of steel cross members, more one inch plate, 2 inch water jet hole for adjustable pintle eye, 45,000 lb pintle (a little light) and about 5 boxes of welding rod. Pulls like a dream, what color should I paint it??

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MD: Thanks for the kind comment. I don't have one of those babies, although I drool over them everytime they come up.

BBBC: You should sell them. I might buy one. How much?

Thanks BK, for the words of encouragement, I don't think I have the welding knowledge to take this kind of project to the next level. The entire unit could be bought however, it is in brand new/never used condition from its Oshkosh referbishment, has bows and now a good way to tow.

OshkoshJay

Banned
I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I really need the help. I'd like to find the MK17 hitch ... or the plans to build one. Anyone drawn a plan. I have the welders.

Ideas? What about building a 'gooseneck' to bolt to the front of the MK17, so to pull with a '5th wheel tractor'. Not to excessive, but wouldn't that allow the tractor to pull the gooseneck (bolted to the MK17) as #1 and on the pintle a # 2.

Gooseneck sounds good, to do the welding it was my experience that the thick steel needed so much heat that it moved alot when welding it. In other words you need trailer to bolt on and off as you fab, just doing it from stencil/drawings might leave a racked and twisted hitch for your end result. I would surely welcome the more experienced welder/fabricaters to chim in here with a better wheel. Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks