• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New 6.5 TDL HMMWV engine. Is this the right one?

jpinst

Here are some pics of the new 6.5 TDL engine I am buying for my HMMWV. Its been shipped back and forth to the middle east, but it is new and has been on the dyno.

I am asking for your help. Please look at these pics and let me know if I am getting the right engine for my 87 slantback HMMWV. I have already taken care of the ECV kit, so I have a little more room upfront.

Thanks in advances

Attachments

dilvoy

It is a block that was cast by GEP after they took over the Humvee engine production from Detroit Diesel, but is an earlier casting number than I have seen before. It is configured as a replacement for a 6.2 with a turbo 400 trans. It is actually a 6.5 but has the Injector pump that is configured to operate the Detent Cable to operate the trans modulator for the turbo 400. Why it has some serpentine items on it is problematic to me. Was it used then pulled? I have bought six new engines that went past their "use by date" and they were all glossy black with no painted over accessories, injector line or fittings and where there was bare metal like in the front and rear of the heads, they had surface rust. These engines are run in to be shure that they are good and warranteeable and then put into a container. The lower block drain plugs are not removed, so the glycol that is inside the block slops out and causes the bare metal areas to rust, even though dessicant is placed onto the container. Do you have the dyno results from this engine and who did this dyno testing and why? If it is new, there would be no need. If it is rebuilt it may be better than new if the builder knew what he was doing. I can post a couple of fotos of what my new engines look like, but it will be Monday until I can do that. Here is a foto of what the GEP label looks like. It is always located on the driver's side valve cover.

Attachments

dilvoy

Sorry, It does have provisions to operate the 4L80E trans. The Throttle Position Sensor is on the right side of the IP , so it is for the A2 HMMWV's. I still don't know why it was painted flat black even on the Exhaust manifolds.

dilvoy

Westech, If you humvee has a turbo6.5 it will look different, because of that. Were you talking about a different oil pan? they did change over to an oil pan that had a smaller sump area at some point, I don't know what that time frame was though.
GEP diden't make any 6.2's, but they did make engine assys as replacements for them. They were called "detuned 6.5" or somethign like that.

dilvoy

When GEP took over production of the Humvee engines they had to supply replacement engines for 6.2 equiped Humvees, so they did the detuned thing, which had an injector pump with the correct throttle shaft to operate the modulator detent cable and fording disconnect switch and maybe some other things. I guess they thought that slapping in some low compression pistons into the 6.5 block was the easy way out. These engines still use the old 6.2 style water pumps . Now the one in the foto may have the old 6.2 pump or it might have the Reverse rotation type water pump like the serpenting belt setup needs. I don't think the 6.2's ever used the one piece rear main seal, that would be a quick give away, but it is difficult to see unless some effort is made.

dilvoy

OH, one more thing. the oil supply and drain back boss that is located towards the rear of the engine valley, but just forward of the rpm sensor position, is a dead give away to this being a GEP 6.5 block casting. Turbo's would have the two holes drilled, with grooves for the seals. Below is what it would look like with the holes in place. They are under the protective tape. International Harvester is casting the blocks for GEP and their sybmol of two triangles is towards the front end of the engine valley area.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This explains why the 6.5 TD I got in the can had the coolant all over the place and bare metal surfaces rusted.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
When I was in the box a big program was going on to rebuild 6.5 NA engines so that all 6.2 engines could be removed. We where going through engines like a hot knife through soft butter and the fleet was almost completly purged of 6.2's. The 6.5 TD were being rebuilt too but were reserved for UAH as they needed all the power they could get. At some point a decicison was made to stop work on all NA engines and that is why these newly depot rebuilt are coming out in sales. They are not TD and would have to be modified to make them that.

Hope this helps

jpinst

Man, I was hoping for a turbo. I have added so much armor and accessories to my HMMWV, and been driving it in high altitudes, I know I need a turbo.

OK, maybe this is easier:

ANYBODY KNOW OF OR HAVE A SOURCE FOR A NEW 6.5 TURBO FOR MY 87 HMMWV? I HAVE THE EXTENDED VEHICLE CAPACITY KIT (ECV). REBUILT IS OK TOO, BUT I NEED EVERYTHING AS IN DROP IN.'

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one, in the can. I'll get you pics when I get back to the house. It fits the description above with the can full of coolant. I've not fired it at all but it looks new.

jpinst

So nobody has any idea where to purchase a new or rebuilt drop-in 6.5 TDL for my hmmwv? AMG or GEP is fine.

I really would appreciate any insight as I am sure somebody else has already tracked down a good source for these and I am overseas, so that makes it much harder.

Thanks in advance.

ClarkeF

Here are some pics of the new 6.5 TDL engine I am buying for my HMMWV. Its been shipped back and forth to the middle east, but it is new and has been on the dyno.

I am asking for your help. Please look at these pics and let me know if I am getting the right engine for my 87 slantback HMMWV. I have already taken care of the ECV kit, so I have a little more room upfront.

Thanks in advances

It's not a Turbo Diesel - that's a Normally Aspirated intake. Looks like the 6.5NA re-power engine - with the updates for the A2.

Should be good - but not a turbo.

Regards,

Clarke

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks