• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What does a new guy buy??????

DaveL

Hi, I live in Idaho and served in the Navy (QM) and in the Idaho National Guard. I was told by a friend (yes I do have one) that this was the best all around information site for ALL (U.S. as well as other military) military vehicles.
Hey, I am partially disabled and have a difficult time walking on uneven ground or much of a distance. I have a jeep, but my daughter has taken over it. I will post in "conversations" my need for information on the best military vehicle for my needs. But wanted to say hi.

Barrman

It kind of comes down to what you want the vehicle to be able to do and your intended use? Shows, parades, cross country drives at 70 mph, logging, etc...

DaveL

Thanks,
Yea, I want to get back to hunting, getting as far back in the woods as I can get for camping. In Idaho you don't need to be in a camp ground (and if I can see someone I don't know, I am not camping) just some trees will do. I have looked at Gamma Goats, Pinzgauers, Unimogs, M35A2 "deuce and a halfs", and other assorted military. I see your picture has it. I am going to wait till I got one for my profile. I also need to get rid of my Ford Excursion before I get one.
Thanks for your response.

Elwenil

Agreed, it depends on your intended uses and perhaps more importantly, your disability. It's hard to go wrong with an M880 series Dodge as they are dirt simple, automatic, cheap and an all around good truck. A CUCV is also good, also automatic but commands a higher price generally and is a bit more complicated. Larger trucks are an option but hard to recommend without more information about your needs.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to site! We are always glad to hear what others are saying about us here.

From what you have said, I would think a M1009 CUCV would serve you well. They are relatively low to the ground (compared to a deuce)for ease of entry, the auto tranny is easy to deal with, they do pretty well off-road with some mud-terrain tires, the have lots of covered/lockable storage for your hunting gear, and many of the parts are available at local parts houses. I started out with a M1009 about 14 years ago and have since gotten into much larger vehicles. CUCV's are a great starting point.

DaveL

Thanks, I will look into the CUCV and the M880. I can use a clutch. It is my back. I broke it 3 years ago and had 3 vertebrae fused. I have nerve damage (mostly to my right leg). But as long as I am sitting I can go anywhere. I can climb into a high cab if I have hand holds. I was looking for the best ground clearance for going over fallen obstacles. I would also like something that I can also use as a family car. (If I go with a M35A2, I would have to shorten it to 2 axles). I don't mind looking the odd ball, but where I am having to give up the Excursion I will need something to drive around. I drove over the road truck so size dosn't bother me. I can get anywhere I want.
Thanks again, keep the info comming.

dc3coyote

I LOVE my Pinzgauer she takes me places I only have dreamed of, plus the size is great for narrow trails. but its ALOT of money in upkeep if you use it as your daily driver like I do.
Or a Cucv...I am trying to find one for myself and one for the Girl, she wants something green.

N1265

With this information, I don't see what you would gain by getting rid of the Excursion and going with a M880 , CUCV , or even a M715. I would think you would be better off doing a lift on the Excursion and modifying a step or grab handle on it. I would imagine you would still spend the majority of the time using it as a daily driver verses a woods vehicle and therefore ( in my opinion ) it would not make much sense to trade it off for a COT vehicle ( Commercial Off the Shelf )

However, if you are set on getting a different vehicle, don't mind the loss of creature comforts and can deal with the max speed of a M-37 ( witch I think is 50 MPH ) and if you REALLY think your back can take it ....I would suggest getting one of these.

Why ?

Because I don't think you will gain much by going from a civilian 4WD, to a civilian 4WD that had a few options added on to better suit the Army's needs. Also, if mobility in the woods is a great consern then the length diffrnce from an Excursion to a M880 verses to a M-37 would give you a greater benefit.

I'll tell you what, someone has made a Suburban to look like it was part of the CUCV family, and they did a great job at it. I will try to look for a Picture of this to give you an idea of what you could do with your Excursion.....

Just one more queston though, What kind of shape is the Excursion in ? If its a beater then it would not be a big deal, But if it's in really good shape then I could see down grading to something else verses taking a beating on the Book value....

Oh, welcome to the site !

jfnemt1ff1

The best go anywere is the Gamagoat. drive across lakes up hills and can use the back for a blind. And by the way I just happen to have one for sale!!!!! :]
John

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
N1265 said:
Here is a link to some pictures and a write up of the vehicle I was talking about :

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=21922&postdays=0&postorder=asc

I am not trying to discourage you from getting an MV but with the information you provided I just want to show you an option that someone else decided to do.....
I like the SAIC V2-LC.. I havbe been putting windows 95 on mine as I get them running. The only issue is the coaxial or thickwire ethernet. No cat-5 on mine.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Idaho

I agree with the Gamma-Goat. That thing would be sweet for hunting or fishing. Now getting one...
I have MS and also have difficulty walking, standing, etc. I just bought an M37 supposedly for my wife's Christmas present. It's a standard shift but I'll add pwr steering/brakes to make it a little easier to drive.
Former N ID greetings. I was starting to miss the winters in ID until I got up this morning and it was 37!

DaveL

RE: Idaho

Thanks everyone. The Excursion is in excellent shape. That is why I need something that I can beat up going through the trees. I want lots of ground clearance and muscle. Something bigger than the CUCV's.
The Gamma Goat is a dream looking outfit. I have heard the maintenance is a nightmare. But it looks like it will go over or through anything. But what is the fuel mileage? The Deuce and a half gets somewhere of 12 mpg. I would rather have the Gamma Goat, but how good of an around the town outfit is it? And how much you asking for it or would you trade? I would love to be able to buy one of everything, but the definition of "broke" is me. :( But I am not giving up!
I know I missed some, but keep the info coming.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I just bought my M37 for $2300 and it came with a fording kit. It's got better ground clearance than a CUCV and should get better mileage than a deuce. It's also small enough that you won't need 8 parking spaces at Albertsons.

DaveL

Thank you John for the talk yesterday.
you have all helped me a lot. I would love to buy John's Gamma Goat, but I need to sell my Excursion first. If there are any buyers let me know, or I will just keep trudging on.
The M37 looks cool, but after talking to John and listening to you all. I think the Gamma Goat or M35A2 would work for hauling lots of people, gear and pull my trailer. Plus go over anything that lays in my path.
My buddy who turned me onto this site was correct, you all have forgotten more about military vehicles than I will ever know

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks