• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fender trimming - sway bar

Sam27

Anyone trimmed up the M1008 fenders to fit, say, 35" tires? I think you could fit 33-34" with no mods at all with the 1-ton suspension on there.

Also, thinking of off-roading, anyone remove the sway bar? I'm wondering if you could even tell it was gone with the stiff supsension anyway.

mangus580

Sam, I had 33" x 15.5 wide Swampers on my 84 Civvy 2500... I needed a 4" lift to clear, and they still scrubbed. No trimming. The trick is, how wide are the 35's you want to use? I think you can do what you are attempting, just might take more trimming than you think.

As for the sway bar, I would not suggest unhooking it for on-road driving, but I know companies make quick disconnects for them. You get to the trail, and pull a pin on each side... really easy.

Sam27

I think the factory M1008 tires are about 33" already. I know a guy who put 34" ones on his, and as far as I know, no rubbing. Of course, you never know until you get into weird spots off road.

I don't have anything in mind just yet, but I'd probably only go with 12.5" wide ones, nothing real wide.

And yeah, I have the disconnects on my K5. I was just thinking that the stiff suspension might make the sway bar irrelevant on the M1008, at least until you filled it with a ton of cargo or something.

85-m1028

the front of these trucks is very heavy and does a good job of keeping the wheels on the ground, flex is going to be limited by the stock shocks, for a better ride and more flex aftermaket shocks "I run pro comp es9000 shocks for 0-2" of lift" they will have a longer shock body and larger diameter piston for more "droop" and better damping..