• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fender trimming - sway bar

Sam27

Anyone trimmed up the M1008 fenders to fit, say, 35" tires? I think you could fit 33-34" with no mods at all with the 1-ton suspension on there.

Also, thinking of off-roading, anyone remove the sway bar? I'm wondering if you could even tell it was gone with the stiff supsension anyway.

mangus580

Sam, I had 33" x 15.5 wide Swampers on my 84 Civvy 2500... I needed a 4" lift to clear, and they still scrubbed. No trimming. The trick is, how wide are the 35's you want to use? I think you can do what you are attempting, just might take more trimming than you think.

As for the sway bar, I would not suggest unhooking it for on-road driving, but I know companies make quick disconnects for them. You get to the trail, and pull a pin on each side... really easy.

Sam27

I think the factory M1008 tires are about 33" already. I know a guy who put 34" ones on his, and as far as I know, no rubbing. Of course, you never know until you get into weird spots off road.

I don't have anything in mind just yet, but I'd probably only go with 12.5" wide ones, nothing real wide.

And yeah, I have the disconnects on my K5. I was just thinking that the stiff suspension might make the sway bar irrelevant on the M1008, at least until you filled it with a ton of cargo or something.

85-m1028

the front of these trucks is very heavy and does a good job of keeping the wheels on the ground, flex is going to be limited by the stock shocks, for a better ride and more flex aftermaket shocks "I run pro comp es9000 shocks for 0-2" of lift" they will have a longer shock body and larger diameter piston for more "droop" and better damping..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks