• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NY registration

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll either need a correct SF-97, or a title... Without that, it wont happen. Unless it's 1973 or eariler... Then it's a bit easier, but still a challenge...

Just make sure the SF-97 is 100% correct. If it is, and your nice to the people at DMV, you'll be set.

Last edited:

LanceRobson

As emmado said, it should be pretty painless.

Your options change a little based on the vehicle's age. If it's 25 years old, you can register it for a fraction of the "commercial" cost , as an "antique" Unlike some other states, NY dosen't put a lot or restrictions on antiques. As long as you aren't using it as a daily driver and the antique isn't being used for a commercial purpose, you'll do fine. Google "NY DMV antique" for more info.

Most of us around here use J C Taylor for insurance. As an example, my M35A2C has 300K liability, 6K collision and comp and costs $71 a year to insure. J C Taylor will only insure vehicles 19 year or older and they don't limit mileage.

I've registered several MVs in the last few months. If you get in a bind or have questions, shoot me a PM. It's deer season so it may be a few days before I see it.

Lance

5tonpuller

ny trucks

When I did my M543a2 it had to get weight and mileage. Plus the SF-97. Be god sure that it is correct. Got it weight by the state police that do weight trucks. With that paper the insurance paper and your first born I then sent all this mess ( of course made copy's of EVERY THING !!!! to DMV in Albany. Amonth later got the goods back. Plates and all. Antique plates and ins. runs about $120 a year. At one time some one said I should look into spec-com plates. Have to do that yet.
I have fun driving all over. My $0.05 worth.

spentshell

I did mine last year with the 97 form with no problem. They did want a tracing of the id numbers, it took them about an hour to figure out what they where doing. I didnt even have to pay the tax after explaining I had already paid it to gl. I guess it depends on who you get behind the counter, the women asked me 3 times what it was to classify the body type and said "are you sure its not a tank". No maam its not a tank. Good luck and bring patience.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In NY, if it's a deuce, it's either a pickup truck, or a stake body. And you will need COMM plates. Passenger plates wont be issued in NY for a deuce. (over the 5,000 weight limit for pass plates)

I havent looked into historical plates in NY...

Lex_Ordo

In NYS you can get 'Historical' tag line plates and transferable reg, for 1972 and older. Body type is SUBN... Yes, there are seats in the rear; Hint, Hint.

No Commercial plates are required.

Just make sure that the make is either Kaiser, JEEP, or AM/GE, make sure the Insurance card says "Historical" on it, and get a weight slip. The DMV will issue Historical plates from most offices. If you must get standard plates first because they tell you that the plates come from Albany, then make sure you get Pass plates, under SUBN body type, or you will have to register it Commercial, pay the extra Comm fees and Ins price.

HTH

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks