• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fried chicken wings for fuel?

jbolty

I have read thru most of the WVO threads but it seems like most of you are way more ambitions than I am. Here's what I am trying to figure out.

I don't put on enough miles to really care about saving fuel dollars, more so just as a way to get rid of old oil.

I have an M1031 that I store all my camping stuff in and tow my jeep out to the desert for 4 wheeling; maybe 80-100 miles each way. Almost every time I bring my turkey fryer and make a few batches of chicken wings and french fries and then I have a gallon or so of oil left over. Can I just quick filter it right into the fuel tank? For now I have been dumping it into the WVO tank at a local restaurant but that means I have to wait for it to cool then pour it back into the original jug.

1. Any thoughts are welcome

2. If anyone is in so-cal and wants some wings let me know and you are invited on the next trip.

Cheers

dependable

My guess is that the cost of clogged filters would be greater than the value of the used oil, especially if you spill some on your boots when trying to filter it (this sort of thing has happened to me when I'm trying to be clever)

jbolty

My guess is that the cost of clogged filters would be greater than the value of the used oil, especially if you spill some on your boots when trying to filter it (this sort of thing has happened to me when I'm trying to be clever)

Probably so. This started after a couple of trips back when the jug tipped over and spilled in the back of the truck.

Maybe I'll just have salad instead. :-D Or not.

offroaddiesel

good idea.iwas interested in using oil from deep friers but unable to get any in my area. one resteraunt and that just closed . the other places now sell it and the price they are getting is high per gallion.i figure traveling to get it and then buying it would be higher then buying diesel, which just dropped to 3.05. but this is my opion. steve from western maine

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the oil you use from restaurants is vegetable oil only. The animal fat oil solidifies when cooled and will do the same in your tank or filtering system. Set up a bio system if you have a good supplier{s}.

jbolty

So what is the concensus regarding me dumping 1 gallon of fryer oil in a half tank of diesel? Seem like it would be ok it I can filter it and get it in there without making a mess. Or, don't bother with it.

cheers

randyscycle

I'd say 1 gallon in a half tank of diesel wouldn't do a ny harm at all, and would be diluted enough there shouldn't be any problems. I pour a gallon or two in my deuce after filtering it, and it doesn't notice it at all.

Just be sure to screen out the chunks. I think a paint filter should be sufficient for that. They are I think 20 microns or so. The fuel filter should catch anything else, if there is anything else.

boomer

2. If anyone is in so-cal and wants some wings let me know and you are invited on the next trip.

Cheers[/quote]

Thanks- I can just go to Colonel Chicken. It's finger licken' good!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks