• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions on Detroit Placement.

spicergear

I get into some slimy stuff time to time as I'm working in the woods and wonder if there's a preferred, or proven, rear axle that a Detroit Locker would be the best in. I know that the front axle would be the best IF lockouts were installed. Any ideas guys or should I just see how the big 395/85 XL's will work first and put the locker money into getting some wheel to work with them.

Thanks

hot rod deuce

Id probably put it in the center axle for steering purposes. besides when you lose the rear driveshaft you still have the locker.maybe the rear because it easier, just put a porta-power in the frame and axle to lift the rear of the truck up so you have lots of room to work. that or make you some axles with splines on each end so you could put lock outs on the rear as well.
How do you think the lockers would hold up to my 52" tall 16.00's? being able to put all the torque on one axle i would think they might just quit on me.

spicergear

I don't think the locker would last too long with the 1600x20's, not for the lockers sake of not being strong enough, but when you snap an axle, ALL the remaining torque get's instantly transferred to the remaining axle. Whack goes the locker.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so you guys know, the V100 armored car has the double reduction Rockwells like the deuce. They differ a bit though in the fact that the rear has a 1.75" 19 spline axle and a Detroit. They have a reputation for breaking rear axles. I'm thinking that those big tires and a Detroit might spell breakage. I doubt the locker will break before the axles. Now here's another consideration for those with deep pockets. Did all y'all know that complete rears with airlocks are out there and available? No, you can't add them to your axles because of the design. About $1300 for a complete axle assy rebuilt or new.
How do ya like me now?

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
<font color="green">[3]<font face="Comic Sans MS">Hey Tom, ever decide on locker placement? I was just reading the APG report on my pipeline truck and it list ground pressure greater on the fwd rear axle. I'd lean towards that axle myself. The Marine Corp M813A1 has Detroits in the rear and they have a way cool data plate warning the maintenance folks about this. I'm told that the pipeline trucks had Detroits in the rear too. I hope to check mine very soon. I'm hoping! I'm going to have to find one of those Data Plates.</font id="Comic Sans MS">[/3]</font id="green">

spicergear

In a perfect world of a spare $1400 to dump in the truck, I'd go front axle Detroit, front axle Selectros, and middle axle Detroit. With those crappy rounded NDT's that don't have much contact patch, I've notice the truck has a natural tendency to plow anyhow. Put a load on it full out the bed and you've got a truck that pushes on anything but asphalt. I think two lockers in the rear would just be asking for really ill handling truck...possibly dangerous. At some point, like when I get my big 395/85 XL's on, it'll really make a difference as the front will actually have some tread put down to steer the thing. About a year ago I saw a guy selling a 5 ton with 18-22.5 Firestone SA Traction DPLX ( http://www.bfentirenet.com/product_...tFrame&ctry=USA&language=en_us&target=catalog ) on super singles with lockers in all three axles. Guy used it for hauling wood. I'm not ashamed to admit, that truck gave me wood too! What a beautiful machine!

M1075

Well, it is time to install a locker and I want some input so I have resurrected an old thread on the topic. For quite some time, I have been evaluating my options on putting a locker in a 5 ton.

I have purchased 2 lockers and I need to decide whether to install both or save 1 for another 5 ton project I am working on. If one, I need to decide which axle. There seems to be a lot of opinions on the subject and I'm sure they depend on the application. Please let me know your input. Here are my goals and anticipated application:

Need improved traction to cross isolated muddy areas and creek crossings
Truck is M812 chassis with 14x20 duals (or maybe 16R20 super singles)
Truck will be loaded to max GVW (~40,000#)
Truck will be on paved roads less than 5% of the time

I'm leaning to installing one locker in the forward rear axle. Wouldn't this be best to gain traction and limit excessive bind up when turning?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks