• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 Spring Seat?

davidkroberts

Has anyone ever used a M35A2 Spring Seat in a M715. Ive ridden in haywagons that have a better smoother ride that the truck I just traded for. Its either that or a few leaves may be leaving the spring pack.

Dave in Tennessee

Elwenil

Anything is possible. I know there was someone wanting a Deuce seat over at The M715 Zone but I think that was the passenger side bench. As a former owner, I can vouch that the M715 does ride a bit rough, lol. It is truly a 1 1/4 ton truck that can haul that and more unlike the lighter Dodge and GM versions that replaced it in later years. I do know a few people at The Zone removed a few leafs in an effort to smooth out the ride but I don't know exactly what they did or what effect it had.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
David, I think the steering wheel would not allow that! I put a set of Isuzu trooperII seats in my 725 and they are close to being to tall. If you were to get a tilt column from a j10 or a waggy, it would help alot.

KsM715

Barrman got any more pics of that truck? I saw gl had a bunch of hummer seats in one lot. thought about bidding but didnt know how to get rid of the rest of the seats.

davidkroberts

I appreciate the help. Im trying to retain as much of the military parts as possible but im looking for some level of comfort. I think the Hummer seat is the way im going to go.

Barrman

What kind of picture do you want? The above picture was taken when I was painting the truck in 2006. I still drive it just about daily. Those seats are great. Even on long 200-400 mile trips, I can move around on them enough to drive and find a spot that is comfortable and then move again 30 minutes later to find another "better" spot.

Let me know what views you want pictures of.

oilcan

Back to the rough ride for a second... What kind of tire pressure are you running? It might help to drop it a little at a time. When things start to feel squishy bump it back up some and call it a day.

You might also think about getting rid of the stock seat padding and cut a nice piece of foam to stuff inside the canvas.

Barrman

Adam has a good point. My XZL tires will jar my teeth with the pressure up to 70 on all 4 corners. I started lowering the fronts first 5 psi at a time and checking for wear. I have the fronts now at 30 and the rears at 55 which seems to give me the best ride empty and a non squishy ride with the bed loaded and pulling a loaded trailer.

KsM715

If you got a pic with the door shut, full broadside shot of the whole truck, Id like to see what it looks like with the doors cut like that. not that Im thinking of cutting my doors, Just want to see it. thanks.

PS My truck might be going up for sale. Just thought Id let folks know

Barrman

Here are some pictures. I am not sure if you want pictures of the doors or seats, so I put in both. I will have to take some of the seats from inside once I get home this weekend.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anything has got to be better than the POS seats that are stock for that rig. They were obsolete a decade before they were used in the -715 series.

You guys have some interesting rigs! I love the idea of a HMMWV seat in the -715. I looks like it is very comfortable.....

Wolf.Dose

Seats for M715

I changed to Volvo 240 Series seats in 1982 already. The original seats were rotten, springs looking through the fabric and did not look useably. We called that stuff "sea grass seats".
The Volvo seats serve me since then. Only some new feet needed on the floor to fix the Volvo seats.
Wolf from Germany

Amer-team

M715 Spring Seat

I know this is old and you probably already replaced the seats, but.

Take the canvas off, take a GI foam sleeping mat, cut it in small strips with a width the height of your seat springs, roll them up and put them inside of the spring coils. What you have done is made an inner spring mattress. Then cut a one inch foam pad and place on top of the springs, if you use some more sleeping mat, it is about a half inch, run it down over the front, reinstall your seat cover and you will have a very pleasant ride. Advantage of using GI sleeping mat is that it is impervious to water.

You can vary the height of the foam in the coils to get a stiffer or softer ride. I am about 200 pounds and have the foam to the top of the coils and my spine is no longer the shock absorber for the truck. I worked in an upholstery shop when I was a kid and the old man told me the trick to seats was to add an inch of foam, no one sees it and it makes a great ride difference.

Hope this helps.

Amer-team

I know that is an easy way, but my 715 is so stock that it still has 3, 1967 dated tires. I have also added foam to the seats in the M54 and the GPW as well. This also helped with the box seat of the M54. It is still stiff, but better. Doing what I suggested gives a totally stock looking seat that gives a decent ride.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks