• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from Hampton VA

hvann

Howdy all
I have looked at ya'lls site for a while now and I love the way that it is run and how for the most part everyone behaves.

Just a little about myself. I'm new to forum use but I think I'm trainable. I'm X navy. I joined the navy in 69 and got out in 79. I wanted to do 20 but they were going to put me on a ship and I didn't want that to happen so I got out. I spent my time in as AMH aviation hydraulics. I went to work after the navy as a heavy equipment mechanic and about 10 years ago I saw the hand writing on the wall. I was not going to be able to keep up with that heavy work into my old age so I shifted gears and start working as a thermographer. I work in the infrared business now and I love it.

Enough of that. Just a little story of how I ended up on this site. Back in 71 or 72 I was reading a four wheel drive mag and I came across an article that I have never forgotten. It was about a REO 6x6 that someone had built a shake shingled shack on, complete with flower boxes at the windows. I thought that it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. In big letters over the cab of the truck on the gable end of the shack was the name of his rig. He had called it the (REO THING).

From that day forward I wanted a 6x6. Well I think I have one now but not sure. If the deal happens I will post some images. I will post some images of my wife’s face when she gets a load of this monster also. My intention is to end up with a Shorty on some very large super singles.

That’s enough about me and I know I will be posting some questions soon.

Thanks again for the great source of info.

Van

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. My wife was stationed at Langley AFB up till 2 years ago. Now we are in Alaska. While we were in the Hampton Roads area I came across a great club of military vehicle collectors. They have a web site at http://www.vmpa.us/. There should be a WWI re-enactment coming up next month in Yorktown. One of the club members has a couple of early 1900's German guns (a 75mm and a 77mm) and he helps put on a good show.

Ruppster
1985 M1009
www.dodge-semis.com

Last edited:

Lorax

Another one from Hampton, Va. Welcome aboard. I live just down the road from you in Pokosun, Pokoson, Poquoson, Poquasin, Pokasin, Poquawsin...all kinds of different spellings for the place. There are a number of MV owners 'round these parts. There are 4 others within a 30 minute drive of home, and probably more than that.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the site!! I'm always happy to see a fellow Hampton Roads member. We had a nice drive-in at Mt. Trashmore last year. I think we had around 10 trucks in attendance. I am hoping to schedule another on for the early spring so keep in touch.

beck

Enough of that. Just a little story of how I ended up on this site. Back in 71 or 72 I was reading a four wheel drive mag and I came across an article that I have never forgotten. It was about a REO 6x6 that someone had built a shake shingled shack on, complete with flower boxes at the windows. I thought that it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. In big letters over the cab of the truck on the gable end of the shack was the name of his rig. He had called it the (REO THING).

Van
I'm sure is still have that feature. I clipped it out of the magazine. The truck had a similar effect on me. I think it was a Popular Hot Rodding magazine. I will have to do some digging and see if I can locate it. I think there was a young blond in the truck in the photos.

hvann

Thanks all for the welcome and information. I'm looking forward to hooking up with those of you around the Hampton Roads area someday. Beck, if you find that feature from the magazine I would love to see some images of it. I have looked many times on line with no luck. And the fact that I remember the truck but not the blond says a lot about where my head was back then. That won't happen again!:-D
Thanks again
Van

beck

Beck, if you find that feature from the magazine I would love to see some images of it. I have looked many times on line with no luck. And the fact that I remember the truck but not the blond says a lot about where my head was back then. That won't happen again!:-D
Thanks again
Van
I have the magazine feature scanned. Just a little black and white with the blond (not as hot as I remembered).Most of the other photos are color. The file is too big to attach here. PM me with your email address and I will send it to you. It looks like the magazine name was Cars. There is no date on my pages. (EDIT: I attached a photo from the feature on the next post.)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks