• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Catch 22 - B-25 Mitchells

I've had this movie laying around here for a few years now on DVD and watched it yesterday for the first time and must say: this is the most __awesome__ footage of B-25s I've ever seen. And a most bizarre plot on top of that. Its sort of like MASH on steroids.
The opening scene of the movie with these Wright Cyclones roaring to life and the following concentrated start of the squadron is sure to give goose pimpels to every enthusiast . Really good work. I wonder where they got all these B25s together, for these scenes look real without any tricks.
Most of you might probably know it already, but to those who are inclined to the subject and haven't seen it: go for it.

A very impressed
Mark

Attachments

Last edited:

bede63

I've seen this movie and agree 100%, it is awesome for the B-25 enthusiast, or any aircaft enthusiast for that matter. The original book by Joseph Heller is a ripping good read I might add. It was impossible to capture that book entirely in one film, but they did a pretty good job anyway. There are many B-25's still flying and more have been restored since Catch-22 was made. It is a hell of an airplane.
Anther good movie with much real B-25 action is Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, which was filmed during WWII.
Best,
Charles Schneider

vtdeucedriver

The warbird site I belong to had a very long post about the making of this movie. The guy posting was one of the pilots for the movie. Talmantz Aviation was responsible for gathering all the B-25's that were used. At the time of purchase, not all were "airworthy" and were brought up to standards the best they could.

Dam good film, esp now after hearing how HAIRY that take off really was for the opening scene!!!

Floyd

Read the book, then watch the movie. I was near Santa Ana airport (Orange County) one afternoon when I heard that sound and looked up. Orbiting overhead and forming up were ten B-25's getting ready to head south to Mexico. Sights and sounds, fantastic. :-D

Floyd

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe this thread will get Steve to work on the engines of the CFF B-25. But, I afraid if we did get them running, it would shake the plane apart (it is a salvage from a local lake and was underwater for about 40 years).

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
B-22's

(it is a salvage from a local lake and was underwater for about 40 years).
That's. Just. Cool.

Where would the thread/pics regarding this particular recovery be located?

Catch 22 was an AWESOME book. (Read it in 9th grade). Gonna have to get the movie.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The B-25 was pulled out of the lake 10 to 15 years ago. It is currently in the Curtiss-Wright hanger at the Owens Field airport, Columbia, SC. For those with Google Earth, it is located at 33 degrees 58 minutes, 35 seconds North, 81 degrees, 0 minutes, 7 seconds West. Cannot see it in the areial view since it's inside the hanger. Stop by on Thursday evenings and we'll give you a tour! I'll try to find a link to the articles in "The State" newspaper, which had pictures. Celebrater Freedom Foundation may also have a link to the pictures, since they own it.

Crash_AF

I saw a show on Discovery about them pulling the plane out of Lake Murray... it caught my eye because I'm from SC and I know where that lake is... LOL I'll have to do a little looking to find out which Discovery show had the footage.

*edit*
It was on Mega Movers.

Later,
Joe

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

I saw a show on Discovery about them pulling the plane out of Lake Murray... it caught my eye because I'm from SC and I know where that lake is... LOL I'll have to do a little looking to find out which Discovery show had the footage.

*edit*
It was on Mega Movers.

Later,
Joe
Different B-25 that he is talking about. The one out of lake murry is a Early C and very rare (same as doolittle raiders) but this one had the ever rarer Bendix bottom turret.

The B-25 that he is talking about was pulled out long ago. Just glad to see it indoors.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the CFF one was out of Lake Greenwood, a few miles upstream of Lake Murray. And removed several years before the one at Murray. Still one or two on the bottom somewhere.

Mike,

it is most likely to happen that we will pay a visit to the US in the next few years, and if it would be possible to have a glance at the B-25 I would make this a definite stopvover (is that in South Carolina? I have relatives in North Carolina, so it wouldn't be too far from the route.

Cheers to you all (great thread),
Mark

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure about Catch-22 but when they were filming Memphis Belle they had all the B17s circling on the runway to look like there were more taking off. Imagine how many they would have had to use for an authentic launch of a Berlin raid.

vtdeucedriver

Not sure about Catch-22 but when they were filming Memphis Belle they had all the B17s circling on the runway to look like there were more taking off. Imagine how many they would have had to use for an authentic launch of a Berlin raid.

Think they had 4 or 5 for filming the Memphis Belle movie. I do know that we lost one on take off. No injuries but the footage of the B-17 in the begining that cant get the gear down and that quick shot of it before it blows up while its burning is actual footage of the crashed B-17.

The actor who played the tail gunner in the movie bought the burnt Vertical and has it over his fireplace in his home.

duce dan

At vannys airport so calfiornia there is a perfectly restored B-25 all the guns etc. The owner was telling me there are only about 6 original tail gun sets left in the world. He valeued his bird at 3 million. sitting beside it in the hanger is a perfect half track with quad 50 turret in the back. two very fine iron heros.

about 2 hours drive north at camarillo air prot are two more b-25s one is onwed by a magazine guy and the other by commerative ari force undergoin totat resotration. by now it sprbably sitting on its gear think they need about $600K to finsh it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks