• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Firing Order/Cylinder Layout -MEP018A

liftman

Just found this interesting site while looking for some information about an MEP018A generator that I have. I inherited it about 12 years ago and never really attempted to do anything with it.

Since we had the week long power outages close by, I decided to see if it would make some power. I found all the manuals on a LOGSA website, I think was the name of it.

I have taken the time to make sure it has reliable battery power, verified compression and spark, which appear to be good. The one thing I can't seem to get information on is the cylinder layout of the engine so I can verify the firing order. I know that when you looking at the damper end of the engine, number 1 cylinder is on the left closest to you. I also know that the firing order is 1-4-2-3. I can't find any information in any of the manuals that tell me the number and layout of the rest of the cylinders. Can someone here help out?

Thanks in advance.........

mangus580

rofl

I had this problem once too! I had to call another member that I knew had one to hash it out.

I dont have said genset anymore... so I cant be of much help :-(

liftman

Thanks for your input. I thought it was me that was missing something in the manuals, but I guess my eyes are better than I was beginning to think!

Hopefully someone will be able to help.

m139h2otruck

Don't hold me to this, but if I recall correctly, the #1 & #3 cylinders are on the left and the #2 and #4 on the right, just like the little 4a032. This is also how the old VW's were numbered, with #3 always throwing an exhaust valve head.

liftman

The VW air cooled, as I remember, when I used to rebuild about 4 a week, was like the poor outline below, with a firing order of 1-4-3-2.

3 1
4 2

I remember this well because number 3 was behind the oil cooler which made the head of the exhaust valve fall out from the heat. Caused a lot of cylinder head and piston/liner changes!

If I understand you properly, you are saying the layout on the MEP018A is like below. Firing order 1-4-2-3.

3 4
1 2

I'm asking because I am not familiar with the 4A032.

m139h2otruck

Yes, you have it right for the 4A032. The VW's were as you noted, just been too long, last one was in 1975!

liftman

Got it to run Monday. After verifying the firing order, which was connected wrong, it made some combustion noises but still wouldn't start. I removed the valve cover for number one, pulled the plug, and brought number 1 up to TDC. Spark did not seem to be in time since the piston was already half way down the cylinder......not good.

I then removed the governor, a piece of the intake manifold, and the magneto. Following the instructions in the TM, I then setup the magneto. It still didn't seem right, as the impulse in the magneto still appeared to be firing the plug too late.

I figured what the hell, it wasn't running now and there were no specific instructions in the TM, so I set it up the way I thought it should go, which was to install the mag gear opposite of the way it was. Put it all back together, pushed the start switch, applied some choke, and off it went. Started up, ran right up to governed speed and began leaking oil all over the garage floor. Found a open port in the filter housing. Screwed in a pipe plug and started it back up. No more oil leak! It even lights up the drop light!

Next is to set the timing and governed speed and apply some load to see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks