• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Siping tires

Rattlehead

Anyone tried it with NDT's? Bjorn, you mentioned it in a previous post. I was at a Discount Tire store yesterday and they had brochures on it. The brochure referenced www.sipers.com website. Apparently, Discount Tire is offering the service. I was just picking up a car with a friend, wasn't there long enough to inquire about them doing a deuce tire.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frankly I think common sense is a better alternative for siping tires. Be aware of your tires inabilities on wet pavement and adjust your driving accordingly.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, if I can't find a really great deal on some Unisteel G177 tires, I'll go ahead and sipe a new set of 1100 NDCC's for my deuce.
This is the tool a purchased some time ago. The seller actually makes them and they are well made.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QUIC...07066QQitemZ4586838421QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It uses blades that cut like a utility knife and the siping doesn't leave groves, just the cut in the rubber.
Flexing adds to the traction, like Sperry deck shoes. :jumpin:

Because our tires are very irregular, it's best to do the siping by hand, a machine would cut the edges too and parts would easily get torn off.
I have had the tool since about June, but it is something psychological about cutting into perfectly good tires, so I havn't tried it on my two still good tires yet. :cry:

I have seen tires at Memphis that had been siped, so the military has tried it. "Nothing new under the sun"

Bjorn
MVPA19212

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good number of the capped 9.00X20 tires are siped. Actually is probably part of the design of the cap.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like the one 900 I got from you on the 103. Those are more like grooves, siping hardly leaves
a visible cut. The "squezing apart" action of the cut is what gives siping the traction on wet pavement.
At least that's how i understand it.

Bjorn

Wyattearp

Bjorn if you were still looking for some tires, not sure which size. I am planning a trip to Berg tires down in Fayetville NC, probably next week, recieved an email from the girl that works there, they had a truck coming in and if broke down on the way there, said it would be Monday before they came in, 60% or better tread... $45 a tire for the 9.00-20's i got 2 reserved but after i get down there i may want at least 2 more... let me know and maybe we can go down together.... I will know more Monday on what day im going either wed, or thursday since those are my 2 days off from work.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
James, agreed it would be fun to go there together, but I'm not prepared to travel any time soon.
The tires I'm looking for are 1100 NDCC's. They should be close to 100% and not more than 5 years old.
Learn to read the date codes before you go, a lot of them may be ten or more years old and I'm not sure how safe they would be on the road.

Bjorn

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On one side of the tire only, find a small "window" marked DOT. It has letters that tells you who made the tire and the date code, a 3 or 4 digit number. The 3 digit number tells you what week (first 2 numbers) and what year. Only the last number of the year is shown. 1995 for example would just be the "5". Guess tires over ten years shouldn't be used. :)
The four digit number is for years 2000 and after. So, "246" would be the 24th week of 1996 (or 1986).
The number 1602 would be the 16th week of 2002.

Bjorn

Wyattearp

yeah from what i understand they are fairly new tires, will be a good little trip to take anyways, im looking mainly to hav decent tires on it so i can move it around and use it alittle bit here on the farm, in the meantime building up monies for new tires.
I will try and check those date codes when i get down there if possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks