• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP018A 10 kw genset questions

dependable

This is 1968 gas Hercules powered . Plate says overhauled by TEAD, mfg of generator says(unknown). I just got this unit from a GSA auction. Looking for basic info and TMs. Looked on this site for a while. I realize this info is in front of my nose, but I haven't found it. Besides TMs, want to know if anyone ever converted this to propane. Thanks.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TMs for the genset may be in the resources section, but probably not the one for the engine itself. TM 5-6115-275-12 and -35 don't cover the engine, but should be in the TM5-2805-204-14.
There are generic kits for converting to propane.

LanceRobson

Propane carbs are available. I can't for the life of me remember where from though. It's been years since I had mine. Maybe a Google search? (Saturn Surplus, maybe??)

If running on propane, expect to de-rate the output by 10-15% due to the lower BTU value of propane.

Lance

callbt

Thankyou for the link, but I'm still not so sure about this "kit". From what I can see, they are simply pumping propane into an opening in the carb. This is fine and agree it will make the engine run, but what if I want to change speed or for the case of the Gen-set change the load? I do not see how this kit regulates the amount of propane being pumped into the system... Ditto for when the engine isn't running- no "shutoff" aka if I shut down the engine, how does this new system stop delivering propane to the carb since there is no "float" like the gasoline version.

callbt

Propane conversion- how it works

Ok found more info... they use a vacuum cutoff to safely shut off the flow of propane when the engine is not running. The venturi effect is what actually pulling the propane into the system... opening the butterfly valve via the govenor causes more suction on the new propane jet causes the diaphram to open more, thus giving more propane to the engine... The propane jet doesn't seem that complicated, pressure regulators cost around $50, so why such a high price tag? The other concern is that the 4A084 engines do not have much clearance below the carb bowl for their adapter hose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks