• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooking oil in a deuce?

TURKEY131

I might have 500 gals of brand new never used cooking for free. Can I run it straight or mix it in my deuce? Or do I have to refine it some how. :?::?::?:

rat4spd

Has anyone ever looked into the EPA regulations of a road licensed duece burning fuel other than low sulfur diesel mandated by the EPA?

Realizing that the engine is multi-fuel, is it actually legal to burn anything else in it?

Westech

CPL
SHUT YOUR MOUTH! yes in most states if you get busted running anything but taxable fuel its tax evasion. But I don't really care. nothin of nothin is still nothin and thats what I got.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fresh VO is a lot better than used (WVO), it's not acid for one thing and needs no processing.
Still, I wouldn't keep a large percentage of VO or WVO, for that matter, in the system longer than absolutely necessary. It's perfect for a long trip when you can run it all out and finish with regular diesel.

Sumoman

SHUT YOUR MOUTH! yes in most states if you get busted running anything but taxable fuel its tax evasion. But I don't really care. nothin of nothin is still nothin and thats what I got.
If they could tax you for this I would be surprised. It is not a fuel you are just using as one. I can run a truck with just wood converted into gas.. are they going to tax me for that? No you are using a vehicle to burn items other then gas or regular fuel, this is bypassing the system not abusing it.

As for the EPA burning the fuel is both legal and safe, why would they have a issue with it?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, 500 gallons, using, say two 275 gal totes, your truck may be a bit top heavy and be careful with sloshing in the curves.
500 gallons of VO weighs 3,800 lb.

EulaVFD#620

But if I change the oil, Tranny fluid, transfer case oil, rear end diff fluid, and front end diff fluid in my Ford F250, and replace it with new fluid which I buy at the store and pay taxes on. Then take the old fluids, and pour it into a deuce, am I really evading taxes? Now I am not paying "the fuel Tax" but I am paying taxes on it. Also If I Buy 50 gallons of new vegtable oil from Walmart, and pour it into a deuce and run it as fuel. I do pay taxes. Significantly less taxes than the tax per gallon of fuel, but I do still pay taxes, so how can they get me for tax evasion? It isn't my fault that they dont tax all things that can be used as fuel, with the applicable fuel taxes. and what if I made Biodiesel out of McDonalds used french fry oil which I get for free from the resteraunt, paid little to nothing to make it, therefore no taxes, how would they know? And how could they legally hit me with a fine?

I am not meaning to be a smart a$$, just trying to get how they would know and be able to legally fine you.

620 out

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tax is intended to tax whatever is being burned as fuel as a means to propel you vehicle down the road. When the law was written, maybe they never considered just what kinds of things someone might put in the fuel tank. If there were pumps that dispensed VO, for sure there would be a tax in the price. There might be a copy of the actual law around, and it has been discussed before regarding how to tax yourself for your road use of "home made" fuels like biodiesel and the like. The purpose of the tax IIRC is supposedly to help pay for road costs, but who knows where it really goes.

How would they know? They probably would not know. When they check, they are usually visually looking for the red offroad dye. Unless you give them a reason to be suspicious, they should not be checking a private vehicle.

TURKEY131

From my understanding the oil is packed in 1 gal containers on 4 pallets. So I do not think it will be to bad. We will see the whole thing may not even pan out but free is always a good thing!

tsmall07

Here's an example of fines levied for using alternative fuels

“Powered By 100% Vegetable Oil” Bumper Sticker Triggers $1K Fine! » GroovyGreen.com - Start Today :: Save Tomorrow

I think, in Virginia, you are permitted to use a certain percentage (or maybe a set number of gallons) of non taxed alternative fuels, but you have to keep a record. The reason they give fines is to cover the road taxes you missed paying. If you keep a record of your usage, they can only charge tax on your usage (I think). Don't use any of the information above without checking your state/local laws for yourself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks