• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What sizes do the fuel tanks come in?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, here goes nothing. I know there are different sizes of fuel tanks.

Can you folks give me the amount of fuel they hold and the over all OD?

I'm trying to figure out how much fuel I can 'stuff' onto my deuce when I get it. I'm figuring one per side in the 'normal' spots. Then two more between the cab and the bed. As I'm either going for a LWB with a 12 foot bed (leaving a 4 ft gap) or a regular wheel base with an M105 9 foot bed (leaving a 3 ft gap).

So, what amount of fuel in gallons and what are it's size (inches please, I'm kinda stupid at converting metric to SAE). Thx. jim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
231 cubic inches equals one gallon. LxWxH in inches divided by 231 gives the gallonage. Might have to work a little harder if your using round tanks. Your typical deuce tank holds 50 gallons. Tanks are made in limitless sizes.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
you could put a 1000gal tank in the bed, but the real question is how long can you drive a deuce before you have to stop beacuse your butt has no feeling left, and few other sore parts of the body

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't mind having the 1000 gallon tank. Not so much that I don't have to stop but so that I can control where I buy fuel. Of course if I lived in GA or VA this would not be an issue. When traveling in my pickup I stop in GA and top off the main tank and the 100 gallon transfer tank for the trip. On the way home I do the same thing. I'm still using the $2.29 fuel from my VA trip in the trucks where dsl here is still close to $3.00 a gallon.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovery4x4,
You hit it right on the head. I want to control when and where I buy diesel, but I am also a huge biodiesel/WVO fan. That's what I'm considering for the two tanks behind the cab. 100 gallons down low and then another 100 gallons at the frame level behind the cab hopefully won't give it a funny weight distribution problem, which is also a concern of mine.

Thx folks. I spoke with Eric Clark of Clark Trucks and he said he could put them in behind the cab with no problems. We will see and I'll let you know how it ends up.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 ton tanks are 55 and 70 gallon. They are a bit wider than the duece tanks so you might need to use the right brackets.

dg

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drat replaced his spare tire carrier with another tank turned around backwards. Then he ran a transfer line under the bottom. The lift pump still pulls from the pass side and the transfer line replaces the fuel as he goes. I think on his last trip he got 11 mpg. At 100 gallons that can take you an easy 1000 miles with a little to spare. I'm thinking of building a tank to go between the bed frame rails. With a portion dropping down next to the air tanks. I'm going to put the filler on the pass side so i can fill both tanks with out moving the truck at the pump. I'm going to plumb the line so it feeds the orignal tank.
I'd also rather choose where i buy fuel. Range is important also, I've had to use gas out in the boonies before.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Randy, Drums are a pain to keep still when banging around off road. They work great for road trips though. Your rear loves having to get out to refuel.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom, thats an M275 deuce tractor or the M59 dumper. My tractor has the same tank. Still 50 gallons just longer and more slender.

spicergear

I like that tank for the bobbed projects as it takes up what can be a large gap when the bed is installed and axle moved up a bit.

Good to see ya Kenny!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks