• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slooow Site Performance

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has been a pain ever since the latest site upgrade (not sure upgrade is accurate :cry: )

Anyway, I have an old PC running Windows ME with Netscape.
Can't upgrade browsers as no one supports anything for WinME
PC may or may not run with XP, not gonna spend the $$ to see if XP will work, besides it could kill my PC as I know it, if I try & it fails.

Here is the problem
Everything now takes forever with this forum.
bottom of my browser says " Waiting for steelsoldiers.com" or connecting to.......
or waiting or waiting for some googlecrap
or read Steel Soldiers or always transfering data from google-anal ytics crap

It seems to get worse with more users online.

I no longer have dial up, but this place is now slower than when I had dial up.

Now all the other forums that I frequent, do not give me these issues and load pretty quick.

Are there some settings in my control panel that I can alter so that steelsoldiers will work like the rest of the web sites & forums out there?
Instead of this
click on a page, then go to the can or do some laundry & come back to see if it loaded etc, etc....

Another issue is when trying to use the quote function when replying to a post

sometimes it works, sometimes it just keeps telling that the message is to short
regardless of how much info I just typed. & sometimes it works, never consistant.

Hopefully we don't "upgrade the site" again till I can get a nice shiney new PC

(Accepting donations)

mudguppy

i, too, have noticed that the site runs pretty slow. haven't been on here regularly for a while until recently and have noticed the decrease in speed. this site is definitely a good bit slower than other forums that i frequent. i'm not sure i would say it's dial-up kinda slow and definitely isn't intolerable, but slower than others.

i figured that the decrease in speed was proportionate to the drastic increase in members and posting activity. so, to me that sounds like a data base / server capacity issue. that could be resolved fairly easily (i think).

but, that costs money to continually upsize the performance capacity of a site such as this. sites are very expensive. so, understandably, a huge monetary increase could be required to "make it fast" - moneys that just may not be there.

so, understanding that, i'm fine w/ the speed. unless it gets real bad?

FormerNewMVGuy

Well i am running windows xp , and i am having nothing but problems with this site. The pages dont refresh,it runs slower than a snail sometimes, some pages just keep reloading non stop , I'll write a pm and then it just disappears before i send it.................AAARRRGGGHHH!

this is the only forum i come to , and its gettin frustrating to say the least.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have mentioned the pages are slow to load(up to 15 seconds) and I need to refresh twice to get the site to update. I have been told that it must be my computer. I don't have these problems elsewhere.

Chevytruck

BOBH what internet browsing program are you using?

firefox runs faster than Internet Explorer

BTW windows ME is a blackhole for Virus's/Worms/Trojans...ect
ive never had fun with windows ME... just a lot of pain...

Specs you need for windows XP
300MHZ recommended
128MB of ram Minimum
4 gig hard drive minimum
CD drive

I hope that helps :-D

emr

I have noticed 3 times that when i do a quick post reply the page goes on and off for a while and does not seem to stop, so when i get back to the main my post does not show untill i click off the site, is this me, i have no other problems anywhere else,,just asking...

poppop

Mine has been real slow for a long time. Seems to be better this week. My main problem is when I make a quick reply most of the time I have to leave and come back to get back to the forums. It always takes me back to my quick reply every time I hit the back button. I figured it was just my computer and did not want to say anything.

N1265

I run XP and firefox, the only thing I noticed is that sometimes after posting, it wont allow me to browser back to the main page, and I have to go threw my favorites to get back to it .....

I also cant find the photo gallery ? what happend to it ?

Sumoman

Buy a used latop or even a new one. For less then 800 you could have last years almost top of the line loaded with all sorts of features you'll never use.

Sumoman

I only have problems with the steelsoldiers forum, The issue's seem to be getting worse for me here.

Wish i knew how to fix the problem?
This site is dynamic and intensive, lots-O-photos and ad's and threads an email.. complex to say the least.

Even a small laptop can be plugged into your LCD tv making a huge screen if you have WIFI in the house, so a new computer with a small screen can be used saving money (if you have the LCD tv). WIFI is great, I am on the couch right now.. I ignore the desk top all the time.

dmetalmiki

well we experience posts vanishing into the ether..and repeated requests to log in. tho (apparently) we are in fact loged in. the main page cetainly does NOT indicate you signed in keeps showing (THE REQUEST) TO sign in. however if you ignore this and go to any other page it shows welcom "......." (welcome signed in.) when posting pictures again the request comes LOG IN. frustrating and confusing..especialy if you lose an hours slow typing. I notice switching of and on again shows logged in.when resuming searches or posting. great site tho and better when these issues are sorted. (if poss):: BOB H try dowload (free) cc cleaner (keep the works free of junk) and FULL SPEED also free. which speeds up i/net working.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks