• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VRC-12 in M1009

snock

I apologize in advance if this has already been covered before but I just scored a fairly decent looking RT-524 on eBay and now my question is what else I need to put it to use in an M1009.

I know I need the following:
MT-1029 mounting tray
24V power cable and rack (already have)
MX-6707 base and AS-1729/AT-1095 and tie down
Antenna bracket
Tuning control cable and BNC RF cable

That should get the radio to receiving unless I've missed something. Where I'm at a loss is what goes on the dash mounting plate and then what cables does one need to connect it back to the RT-524?

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this.

m38inmaine

No cables connect to the back of the radio, it connects through the mount. You could put a remote speaker on the mounting plate, but I believe the original purpose of the plate was for NBC equipment.

ONTOS66

Most of your questions can be answered in the various manuals available in the Reference section. Check page 4:
Steel Soldiers :: Military Vehicles Supersite
and browse the TM 11-5820-401-# series. They all pertain to the VRC-12 family radios and their installation.
The attached drawing will give you an idea of the antenna installation possibilities. In Phase I the antennas were mounted at the rear of the vehicle with additional antennas in the middle if needed. In Phase 2 the antennas were mounted "mid-ship" with additonal antennas at the rear of the vehicle, if needed. Go figure.
Regarding the dash plate, it had several functions. I have an RT 246 installed and have the control box mounted on the plate to change frequencies without climbing over the back seat. My speaker is also mounted at that location.
Hope this gets you headed in the right direction. Just ask if you have more questions.
Someone here has the answer, some are even right. :)

Attachments

tbanks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vrc 12

I have NOS MT 1029s,50.00, Nos MX6707 and NOS antennas 150.00, NOS CX 4722 tuner cable 12.00, NOS CG1773 RF cable 10.00.Imin Kentucky so shipping should be cheap.

Armada

You'll love it or hate it once you have it in. Remember it takes someone else with one to be usable. It will pick up a couple tv stations though.... Also, the rack will take the place of a passenger in the rear seat and your back seat will not be able to be lowered if you want extra room. They are a great unit with a long range, a cool factor of '10', and the cat's arse if a buddy has one too.
The plate on the dash was for mounting the controls to the arctic kit heaters. As ONTOS66 said, they make a good place to mount radio equip or even vic-1 equip.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks