• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck Steering Wheel

Sparky

One more question today. My steering wheel is STUCK. I had a gear puller on it last night and it would not budge a bit. When I started cranking down the puller it started bending and messing up my wheel, so I called it a night. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks of the trade or anything that has worked for them in this situation. I did some looking today at what a new wheel would cost if I bugger mine up and I don't want to spend that kind of money on a part I mess up myself.....

CGarbee

Kroil, a rubber mallet, your steering wheel puller, time, patience... Lots of patience, and Kroil, and PATIENCE...

If you really wank it up, let me know as I have a good takeout steering wheel hanging from a hook in the shop...

Best thing you have done so far is to walk away and give it a rest... Use that mallet listed above just enough to give it a love tap so that the Kroil can work a little better... But give it some time to get used to the thought that it is comming off. Remember, it hasn't had to move off that steering shaft in a LONG time...

Good luck.

Sparky

Well I left my puller on the wheel over night with a moderate amount of force being applied to the wheel. I guess the wheel is really brittle after all these years. It had cracked on me in two places the other day. Well this morning I discovered that the entire center of the wheel had simply shattered under the pressure of the puller over night. Most of it was laying in the floorboard. So I guess all options are open now since the wheel is FUBARed. I may take you up on your wheel offer Sgt, if you decide to part with it.
Anyway, its comming off tonight. Then at least I can get my cab off the frame. Thats how all this got started anyway.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try this but carefully. Be accurate but once there is pressure on the puller, a few sharp strikes on the head of puller bolt can sometimes shock it loose. Be careful not to damage your puller or hit it at an angle.

Sparky

Thanks 4x4. I'll try that tonight. I've pulled a few steering wheels in the past, but this one takes the cake. It is rock solid STUCK. You know whats funny, there is no outward signs of rust on the shaft splines. It looks clean. No telling what they will look like when I get the wheel off and can see them entirely.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ive found that by pulling on the steering wheel at the same time using an air hammer to hammer down on the steering shaft, they pop right off. Ive never actually done it on a military vehicle but have done many ford cars and trucks and it works like a charm.

Sparky

Just a update here. It came off at last. It was rusted solid. However the shaft splines cleaned up real nice. Soaking it with oil, tapping on it with a hammer and pressure from the gear puller did it in the end. I was just about to try the impact hammer when it broke free....

CGarbee

Glad to hear that it came off, even if it did in more than one piece... Let me know when you need a replacement as the one that I have is just hanging out on the shelf...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks