• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best WMO filter?

pdstout

What would be the best, cheepest, and fastest WMO filter system. I will be getting my Deuce soon and have a great source for WMO. Can anyone help? I have read several post on the subject. What would be the best?
Thanks, P. Stout

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
go to e-pay and look for a hydraulic pump. You don't need a huge motor to just pump the fluids through some filters, so buy a 1/2 or 3/4 horse motor. Get two filter bases and I'd find two hydraulic filters, the first one about 15 to 20 micron and the second right in line behind it of about 5 micron. Pump the WMO from one container, through the filters into a clean container...TA DA, cheap, clean fuel. Probably less then $200 for the whole set-up from e-pay

crazyplowboy

You might want to also put a water seperator in your filtering system, you'd be surprized at how much water/coolant and other crap gets into "good clean WMO"

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best, would be motor driven centrifuge.

Cheapest, would be reusable nylon sock filters. Start with 50 micron, and finish with 5-1 micron

stampy

Engine driven centrifuges require you to fill your tank first then filter. Mine and Avengeusa run off of an electric motor allowing you to store good processed oir for blending in a drum and then you don't have the issues with water or other contaminants if the engine driven centrifuge is overwhelmed. Also engine driven requires piping oil pressure lines to spin the centrifuge. I have learned over the years I have been doing this with WVO and WMO that you want the (mess, plugged filters, water, trash) removed before you put it in your tank. Nothing like being stranded on the side of the road.....more than once..... to make you filter well. I bought a simple centrifuge but Avengusa is making a high quality setup and he is a member here. If I had it to do over again I would buy his. My setup has been described here many times.:-D

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for starting this specific discussion. I was just going to :-D

For oil purity nothing beats the centrifuge. I have limited room and want to clean the oil as I pick it up so that I am only hauling and storing clean oil. I have no room for a cleaning setup in my suburban garage.

I was going to buy one of those beautiful 24v pumps from DocFarmall until I ran across an air powered Sandpiper diaphragm pump on CL yesterday Real Cheap. Same one as atankersdad uses.

So.... Can anyone who has found filter bases and filters that work well Please Please post up the part numbers and where they bought them?

I know they can be bought on E-bay and so on, but I would prefer to stand on the shoulders of the giants who have gone before me though, and use their knowledge to good effect. :razz:

Thanks!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't bought any but I know NAPA sells them. They can even go through the books and find you a few filters of different micron ratings that you can use. Like crazyployboy said, put in a water separator...maybe even filters with separators built in.

ARYankee

So where would one get a separator from? I'm not looking at anything elaborate. I haven't really figured out if I'll filter before and after or just after I store it. I figure the water and oil will separate and any large particles will sink to the bottom of my tank. I was going to just get a pump and suck off the top. I just don't want to spend a ton of money on this little project because the boss lady would have a kitten if I did. I'm already invested $100 for my 300 gallon storage tank.

scrapman

2cents2centsThat is a tall order to fill. Surely you know the adage: Fast & cheap wont be good. Cheap & good wont be fast. Good & fast wont be cheap. As you see you can have a combination of any 2, but if you find a combo-pak that has all 3 post it & you will be a hero to many. Myself I use the sediment can then warm the fluids & multiple sock process into another clean drum. Not fast, hav'nt had problems in a year of daily use, but it is cheap. I use WMO/WVO & any other petroleum product I can get. I just avoid the really nasty stuff. There is a wide range of opinions & options online here so choose & experiment

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made a trip to Napa yesterday. They looked through the books. And looked. Finally they gave me a nice new copy of the filter book and sent me on my way. They didn't want to do the work.

The filters and bases I have been finding mostly have bypasses built in. This is going to take a lot of work.

I like the looks of the hydraulic filters the best, but I don't want a bypass that will start dumping dirty oil into my clean oil tank as soon as it starts to get plugged.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The filters and bases I have been finding mostly have bypasses built in. This is going to take a lot of work.

I like the looks of the hydraulic filters the best, but I don't want a bypass that will start dumping dirty oil into my clean oil tank as soon as it starts to get plugged.
Good thinking Slayer,

I got these ordered today:

FILTER BASES:
Source: Farmers Supply
WIX 24770 (1x14 thread, no bypass)
Price: $18.64 each

FILTERS:
There are literally tons to choose from: 30, 10 on down to 3 microns, in various dimensions and some with water separators! The 1x14 thread base lets you choose from Fram, WIX, Puralator, Luber Finer, Hastings and more. I chose the following filters and purchased them today based first on performance, then filter medium size and finally on price:

30 Micron:
WIX 33367 $ 5.78 each

10 Micron:
WIX 33356 $6.41 each

3 Micron with water separator:
Source: EBay
Luberfiner LFF8030 $14.99 each (shipping included)

My plan is to pump oil using low regulated air pressure applied to a thick wall plastic 50 gallon barrel, piped to flow through 3 filter bases in series. I will stage the filtering from 30 down to 3 microns (with built in water separator). Each head has extra ports for fitting gauges so I can easily compare pressures seeking indication of a plugged filter.

I expect this system will add up to about 1/4 the cost of a centrifuge system.
If it works and my truck has no adverse affects over time then I'll be pleased.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks