• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor Belt replacement on gas engine

dfanders

Folks,

In working on the truck (1957 M52 gass engine) we had to remove the passenger side fender to get at the exshaust system (see other thread on that). In looking over the engine i noticed that the air compressor belt has a large crack in it and needs to be replaced. Do i need to remove the radiotor to get to it? When in there i will also replace the other belts and check the hoses to the radiator. Anyone who has done this on the gas engine 5 ton truck?

Thanks
David

Air compressor is air cooled and mouted on the passenger side on the engine block. Are the belts for thes special, or can it take it off and go to a NAPA store and get match?

David

Attachments

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a pic of the compressor? Is it water cooled?

Water cooled compressor on a gasser 331 for a 2 1/2 ton truck is fun. According to the TM remove radiator. I did it without removing the radiator, but not much fun. Number one is to wear gloves when working next to the fan shroud and rad. fins. Lots of sharp edges...

To adjust the one I had, there is a small set screw on the inside of the pulley. Was a 1/4 square head bolt on mine. Once you back that bolt out, you can turn the outer pulley half(sheave) in or out on the pulley to loosen or tighten the belt. Best bet is to take it all the way off to replace belt. When you tighten it on the belt, I used dishwashing soap and water to make it easy to turn the outer pulley half against the belt. There is 4 spots for the bolt to lock the pulley in place. I made marks on the pulley so I could line them up, and not have to look inside to see if it's lined up.

Hope this helps, if not post a pic of the compressor...

Dennis

m139h2otruck

We changed the belts on the M139 without removing the rad. Just be carefull of the fins and the fan. If I recall, you have to remove the fan belts first. Also make sure that the adjuster pulley halves turn so you can adjust the new belt.

dfanders

Napa part number ??

Anyone have the napa part numbers for the air compressor belt on a M52 with a gas engine?

Looks like i can just remove it, take it to the local store and get a match. I would like to have a part numebr to be sure...

Cheers,
David

m139h2otruck

If I put the right number in the file, it is a NAPA 28412 belt. Belt is thicker and wider than the fan belts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks