• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carburetor question

crankshaft45

I posted this on the "G" also. I am familiar with the idle adjustment on the mule carb. I do get some black smoke while running, and occaisionaly the plugs will foul out with black soot. Am I missing an adjustment somewhere or getting ready for a new carb?

rod

From the Mule Barn

Crank,

As Chuck said on the G, ajust the carb by screwing the adjustment screw clockwise til it bottoms out. Don't over tighten. Then unscrew (counterclockwise) 1.5 turns. minor adjust from there.

Possible other reasons for black smoke -
- Choke not fully opening, adjust where arm hooks to choke cable
- Make sure the air intake from prefilter all the way thru thru the airfilter to the carb is not blocked.
- Bad Carb, replace less than $50 bucks
- Try hotter plugs. Champion XMD21s are hotter

crankshaft45

thanks for your reply. I am running the hotter Champion plugs and all my other adjustments are good. I talked to Bill about this while trying to sort out a fuel pump problem (see my fuel pump saga on the G) and he states that some mules tend to run rich no matter what you do. Right now it is something I can live with, just shows some black smoke occaisionally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks